Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Soon to buy an rxp a few questions though

Other than the superchargers and the delamination problems I keep reading about how reliable are these skii's?I want one pretty bad but how is working on these things?Oil changes? Where can I get the tool to remove the oil and Is there any other specialty tools needed for working on them? I was considering a Honda just for reliability peace of mind but they are a dog and I think I would kick myself once I got smoked by an RXP and others. Thanks..........

Quote Originally Posted by red rider View Post
    Other than the superchargers and the delamination problems I keep reading about how reliable are these skii's?I want one pretty bad but how is working on these things?Oil changes? Where can I get the tool to remove the oil and Is there any other specialty tools needed for working on them? I was considering a Honda just for reliability peace of mind but they are a dog and I think I would kick myself once I got smoked by an RXP and others. Thanks..........
    Welcome to the forum!

Delamination - very rare, I've only heard of it happening on 04 models.

Changing oil - very easy as long as your have an oil boy (something to suck the oil out with).

Supercharger - buy an 06 or upgrade the supercharger to the 06 kit and be sure to replace the ceramic washers with Greenhulk's metal ones.

I love my 05 RXP and she's been easy to take care of except for when I screwed up and ingested water into my modified air intake. But that was my fault and I'm dealing with the consequences now. But she'll be back to good soon!

Go to the how to and FAQ section and read about how to change oil, etc. It's here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

WELCOME!

Great ski`s. Sea-Doo`s handle different than any other ski.
    I have 40 hour`s now. 10 the first season and then the clutches blew.
    Repaired it and 30 hour`s of care free fun. This ski is fast`s and furious in stock trim. With minor mods you can make it faster.
    The new Kawi 250 should also be a consideration when buying a new ski.
    I am a long time Sea-Doo owner and prefer it over any other brand.

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    delamination is rare. every hull maker has delt with it at one time or another, so it's not a Sea Doo only issue. Green Hulks washers "fix" the supercharger issues. Beyond that they're great. Remember, on internet forums, people show up because of problems. So, it is a good place to find the most common issues but does NOT represent the majority. The 4tec is a VERY reliable motor, beyond the SC issue which is fixed by the metal washers already mentioned. Don't be fooled by the Honda name. If it's used for marine use, it's gonna need work eventually, period. (don't take that the wrong way, there is nothing wrong with Honda, but they've had their share of issues too)

happy shopping,
    sean

+1
    I have ridden the RXP,RXT,2004 GTX185, Raced xpl's,e.t.c.......I just don't want to go through the nightmares of an xpl again.I really liked the ride of an Rxp versus the Honda.The Honda guys swear by there ski's but I wonder why they are so expensive when nothing has changed since 02.I've noticed that Honda's never seems to get there reserve met on e-bay.How can you ask new prices for ski's that have 60 plus hours on them?There seems to be pretty good deals on 04's out there.Am I really better off finding an 06 Rxp or can I update one of the 04's and still come out ok? I like the yellow and black of the 04 Rxp and wish they still had it around.If anybbody could give me some out the door prices they are letting the 06's for I would appreciate it thanks.Time to go spend some money...........

+1
    Here's a couple good sources for oil, filters and pumps.
    https://www.jmcamper.com/sunshop/htm...gory-12-0.html
    Their 4 tec oil change kit w/ 12v pump is not bad. $54

I use this pump and it's made very well.
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/over...24770&fcat=2Y4

+1
    Unless money is a big concern, go for an 06. The SC clutch is better (still not good, but better) and they seem to be a tad faster than th 04-05 models. If you get an 04-05 model, make sure you know what to look for in terms of problem areas (i.e. SC clutch). If it has ever had an SC clutch failure, walk away from it. Even if it has been fixed, it probably wasn't fixed correctly and is living on borrowed time.

I have ridden the RXP,RXT,2004 GTX185, Raced xpl's,e.t.c.......I just don't want to go through the nightmares of an xpl again.I really liked the ride of an Rxp versus the Honda.The Honda guys swear by there ski's but I wonder why they are so expensive when nothing has changed since 02.I've noticed that Honda's never seems to get there reserve met on e-bay.How can you ask new prices for ski's that have 60 plus hours on them?There seems to be pretty good deals on 04's out there.Am I really better off finding an 06 Rxp or can I update one of the 04's and still come out ok? I like the yellow and black of the 04 Rxp and wish they still had it around.If anybbody could give me some out the door prices they are letting the 06's for I would appreciate it thanks.Time to go spend some money...........
    There's a dealer in NC with RXPs for around $8500 out the door.

+1
    The money is not a real big issue.Just wanted to know if there was any major improvements between years.Happen to like the colors of the 04 that's all. If I buy used and test ride what rpm's do these ski's run stock? I think I remember 8500 on the one I rode. also how many hours should I stay away from? 100 or more? Thanks..............

I think I remember 8500 on the one I rode. also how many hours should I stay away from? 100 or more? Thanks..............

8500 thats a lot for a stock ski 8150 is where it shoudl be at. i personally would never buy a used jet ski jsut because there are peopel that know how to ride them and take care of them and there are people who just dont give a damn and let there kids and friends take them beat the hell out of them because they dont care cause its not theirs then ride them up onto the beach doing 40 ive seen it done. so woudl u rather ghet a brand new ski know its never been used and abused or buy something that god olny knows what happend to it before u got it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information