Question starter, bnedix or both issue and replacement

Hey guys, sorry if there is already a how to on this, but I didn't come up with much on the search. So I have 96 SLX780. Was running a month ago. Went to start it this weekend and the starter was making a screeching noise but still sometimes turning over. eventually the screetching stopped and now all I get is a spinning. Not a good spinning, like an electric motor spinning but not engaging the motor. Sounds like my starter or bendix is bad. Are they one piece? Or Separate? Also, I am fairly mechanically inclined, are these hard to get to/replace? Any advice?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Bendix is separate from starter motor. To replace it, you must remove the flywheel.

Starter motor can be removed without opening the flywheel housing.

In your case, it sounds like the Bendix has failed.

I am guessing that removing the flywheel is pretty involved then? More than a "fairly mechanically inclined" guy can do. Great.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthras View Post
    I am guessing that removing the flywheel is pretty involved then?

More than a "fairly mechanically inclined" guy can do...
    It is not that hard.

The hardest part is getting the flywheel puller in place and torqued up enough to get the flywheel to release from the tapered shaft.

Search and read up on flywheel removal threads on here. Lots of tips from others who have done it

+1
    Take the stator cover off and I bet your flywheel nut came off or is loose. i I bet the woodruff key is wasted too. what happens is the bendix kicks the wheel off the snout a little when the flywheel gets loose and all of a sudden you here something wrong,, then nothing but spining---the bendix is just spining in the hole. Or your bendix is sticking on the helical gear and its froze in the upright position. then all you would hear is a spinning sound also but from the starter.

what your gonna have to do is, take out your gas tank so you have acess to the cover. then double check you have all the bolts off the cover before you pry on it.lol

the starter is behind the exhaust. sucks.. thats a whole other deal there.. it sounds like your spins anyways. i wouldnt worry about it..

then when the cover is off, you'll be able to see whats what. look to see if the washer can be spun behind the big nut on the end of the crankshaft. if its loose. thats your problem. If everything is fine there. your bendix to the right there can be taken out.. it has a washer on it!. dont forget. if you want the bendix out, take the next cover off .its 6 bolts i think, plus 1 little one, comes right off, bendix falls out. At this point, you'll be able to see the condition of the teeth on the starter and make a determination from that.

you could even take a flywheel puller and hook it up and turn it just a tad and to just see what happens,, if the flywheel falls right off, you have a problem beginning and caught it early.. otherwise, it shouldn't move without a good pull on it. the woodrufff key could be mush. and it wheel got loose.

the pulleritakes 8 mm bolts ---grade 8 preferably
    at least 4 inches long.. I use leftover bolts from another engine. there like 6 inches long and bent.lol

you basically have to crawl into the front of the ski and wrench on bolts. some are harder than others! lol
    I hope your back is good.. I just got done doing mine today! Tape the gas tank end up first so it doesnt spill and empty it if you can. much easier to position it later in the ski when your done..

dont forget which fuel lines go on which nipple and so forth. label them as you go. so you know exactly what your doing.. take notes ot pics of it.

its not that hard.. go for it..

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Take the stator cover off and I bet your flywheel nut came off or is loose. i I bet the woodruff key is wasted too. what happens is the bendix kicks the wheel off the snout a little when the flywheel gets loose and all of a sudden you here something wrong,, then nothing but spining---the bendix is just spining in the hole. Or your bendix is sticking on the helical gear and its froze in the upright position. then all you would hear is a spinning sound also but from the starter.

what your gonna have to do is, take out your gas tank so you have acess to the cover. then double check you have all the bolts off the cover before you pry on it.lol

the starter is behind the exhaust. sucks.. thats a whole other deal there.. it sounds like your spins anyways. i wouldnt worry about it..

then when the cover is off, you'll be able to see whats what. look to see if the washer can be spun behind the big nut on the end of the crankshaft. if its loose. thats your problem. If everything is fine there. your bendix to the right there can be taken out.. it has a washer on it!. dont forget. if you want the bendix out, take the next cover off .its 6 bolts i think, plus 1 little one, comes right off, bendix falls out. At this point, you'll be able to see the condition of the teeth on the starter and make a determination from that.

you could even take a flywheel puller and hook it up and turn it just a tad and to just see what happens,, if the flywheel falls right off, you have a problem beginning and caught it early.. otherwise, it shouldn't move without a good pull on it. the woodrufff key could be mush. and it wheel got loose.

the pulleritakes 8 mm bolts ---grade 8 preferably
    at least 4 inches long.. I use leftover bolts from another engine. there like 6 inches long and bent.lol

you basically have to crawl into the front of the ski and wrench on bolts. some are harder than others! lol
    I hope your back is good.. I just got done doing mine today! Tape the gas tank end up first so it doesnt spill and empty it if you can. much easier to position it later in the ski when your done..

dont forget which fuel lines go on which nipple and so forth. label them as you go. so you know exactly what your doing.. take notes ot pics of it.

its not that hard.. go for it..
    really helpful information for a similar problem I'm working on tonight. appreciate the concise writeup.

Thread Information