Need to get some info/tips and find some parts

Hey everyone, my name is Daniel and I just joined the forum. I just got a 1999 Polaris SLTH yesterday. When I got it, it would fire up and start but would die immediately after. Previous to attempting to fire it up, I changed out the spark plugs, removed the old gas, poured in new gas and recharged the battery. After finding that it would not stay running after it fired up (literally only a second or two) I pulled the carbs and completely disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled them. Still nothing. The engine was getting gas and oil but would not run other than the initial start-up. I pulled a plug wire and checked spark, it is only getting spark when the start button is pushed but then it stops. I was assuming that it had something to do with the electronics at this point and went to check all of the wires. Upon pulling the electrical box, I opened it up only to find that it had water in the lower half of the box. The terminal board (Part # 2434014) is all corroded up and I'm positive that some of the connections are bad on it. Also, the ignition controller (Part # 406014 is located on the other side of the box from the terminal board which was also submerged in water for who knows how long. I am guessing that the ignition controller is probably my problem. Does anyone have some insight to share with me on this problem? I need to find these parts to replace them and hopefully find them on the cheap. Thanks in advance for any tips/advise that ya'll give me.

I have attached a picture of the terminal board to give ya'll an idea of what I'm working with.
    http://i29.tinypic.com/axnupg.jpg

Thanks,
    Daniel

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Replace that terminal board, for sure.

If the wire ends are corroded, replace with new crimp connectors.

The actual CDI module is sealed, so it may be OK.

The CDI part number 4060148 is an original CDI. Polaris issued an Update Kit for the 1996-1999 engines, since the original ignition is not reliable over time. The Update Kit is about $300, and it includes a new magneto stator, new CDI, and on the two cylinder engines a new ignition coil. Much more reliable than the original parts

You can find info on parts sources and the part number for the Update kit in the links below.

Hey K447,

Thanks for the quick reply. So you think the terminal board is most likely my problem? I am new to personal watercrafts so everything seems a bit foreign to me although it does seem pretty straightforward once I study it for a while. I found the terminal board for about $25, does that sound about right?

Thanks,
    Daniel

+1
    Check what John Zigler is asking for a terminal board.

Ok I got the terminal board. Now I need to find the wiring schematic for it so I can make sure that I am putting the wires in the correct locations since some of them were corroded/disconnected when I opened it up. Any help?

Thanks,
    Daniel

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
    Ok I got the terminal board. Now I need to find the wiring schematic for it so I can make sure that I am putting the wires in the correct locations since some of them were corroded/disconnected when I opened it up. Any help?

Thanks,
    Daniel
    Well, the terminal board should have the wire color codes marked beside the terminals.

Once you get it wired up and going, you can apply the service bulletin update for the Red/Purple to Orange wire (for the CDI wire only). You can find more info on Service Bulletin PWC-00-05 in my signature links.

In addition to the wires, there are screws that are part of the grounding circuit. Make sure the screws and metal tabs are in place and tight.

Thread Information