GP1300R Engine Replacement Advice

Need to replace the engine on my 04 GP1300R due to blown head gasket and low compression. What advice do you all have before I get started. Is SBT a good choice for engines? Is there anything else I should considering getting when ordering the engine such as special tools. Any tricks to pulling one of these? Auto mechanic by trade so that is not a problem just wanted my ducks in a row before starting.

+1
    SBT has a great warranty, that's about all the good that I've ever heard any one say about it. Use the search to find out more. Have you torn your motor down to see what all is wrong with it?

SBT used to have a great link on their site about replacing your motor, might want to check it out.

Here is the link to the engine removal guides from SBT. They go over what tools are needed for the swap.

http://www.shopsbt.com/guides.htm

Hope that helps.

Not yet Smitty, I replaced the head gasket and found #3 cylinder wall very worn. Compression is only 60 lb in #3 which was not a real big surprise with all the water that it sucked in. Removing and inspecting the engine tomorrow. Thanks for the link Johnny5. I did a search but came up with nothing.

No problem. Good Luck!

+1
    [QUOTE=jaywaite;1505432]Need to replace the engine on my 04 GP1300R due to blown head gasket and low compression. What advice do you all have before I get started. Is SBT a good choice for engines? Is there anything else I should considering getting when ordering the engine such as special tools. Any tricks to pulling one of these? Auto mechanic by trade so that is not a problem just wanted my ducks in a row before starting.[/QUOTE

Welcome to the forum. Not sure why you want to replace the entire engine when you have 1 bad cylinder. Its important to know 'why' the engine went down first off. More info from you, pictures, etc.... An SBT engine is under $1600.00 plus shipping/core. I personally have never bought an SBT engine before but have heard the horror stories and have head great things at the same time. Your fix might not be that expensive on your current engine. Help us help you, post up some things i listed above.

Woody that's the reason I am asking for advice. Before the engine gets pulled and disassembled I was wondering what else to look for. The cylinder wall damage is probably due to the water from the blown head gasket. Will the crank bearings get damaged as well with a blown head gasket or do most of you just replace cylinders and rings. It looks like the cylinders can be replaced without pulling the engine if I'm not mistaken. The ski has 100 hours on it, new ski to me and I don't know the history on it other than the cat has been removed and D-Plate installed. After I replaced the head gasket she ran smooth but had no power. You all have been awesome thanks again for your help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damage.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	207158

Well now I know what I'm doing, it's engine time. Looks like someone patched this without removing the engine. You can see how damaged the piston is and the gaskets are melted from the weld. Thanks Woody and everyone for your help.

Thread Information