1996 Kawasaki 1100 ZXI - bogs down after 10 mph

1996 Kawasaki 1100 ZXI idles fine but bogs down once going anything over 10 mph or trying to squeeze the throttle anymore than 1/4 the way. I can get it to go 25 mph by pulling the choke out 25% and keeping it there. If I push the choke back down it bogs out and I either have to pull out the choke again or back off from the throttle which only has me going back to about 10 mph without that choke.

I figured out that after hitting 25 mph I can get more speed out of it by adjusting the trim to help make it bounce repeatedly (constant hops) while staying in a straight line. The quick hops out of the water makes it rev high enough to give it extra power when it comes back down, and I can hit nearly 50 mph if I keep riding like that....but once I stop hopping or try to turn - it will quickly bog down again.

Any thoughts?

restricted fuel system / carbs need new kits and cleaning.

kawasaki bogs down

I will look into the fuel and air system this week. By the way, I'm getting 110 compression on all three cylinders. Does this compression reading mean I should already be considering the carbs to be rebuilt?

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    The carbs and compression reading are independent of each other meaning the compression is irrelevant if the carbs are dirty. theyll need to be gone over every few years regardless. It does sound like the carbs need a good cleaning and rebuild, get the OEM rebuild kits

If it has been more then two years since a carb rebuilding and cleaning I would agree with the above. Also another common problem that can cause this is the jets running to lean and the pop-off set to high.

Looks like I'll have some time to start checking those suggestions in the morning. One thing I did notice this evening; I went to unscrew the fuel cap and it made a serious air-sucking sound as I barely started turning the cap. I'm assuming this could be part of the problem.

I'm not familiar with it but I will see if the fuel air-vent-hose is clogged. I see where the hose starts on top of the fuel tank (fuel tap) and goes up into the meter housing assembly. I'm guessing I need to remove the hatch cover and meter housing assembly to get to the top end of the hose filter / air screen - if it has one.

Thread Information