Central NJ

Virage i 800 Spark Plug Coloring

Took the ski out for a nice long trip yesterday and wanted to ask you guys a question.

The ski started up great but ran like CRAP for the first 2-3 minutes. This happened the past 3 times i have fill the tank up. I put some stabil in the tank to get rid of any crap that may have gotten in there, made sure the clamps were tight and it was smooth sailing for the rest of the day enjoying the ski.

When i got home, i flushed the ski, gave it a good cleaning and just wanted to pull the plugs to see how they were looking. How do these plugs look to you guys?? I think they look pretty good. When i took them out, they have what looked like droplets of something on them. I am assuming it was gas because it went away in a matter of seconds.

I also wanted to ask, is there always a little bit of water in the bottom of your skis? No matter how hard i try, there is always a littttle bit of water at the bottom of the ski...

Thanks for the help guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00051-20100725-1514.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	207008   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00052-20100725-1515.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	207009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00053-20100725-1515.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	207010  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Sta-Bil will not clean out the fuel system. If there is water, dirt, or gunk in the tank or fuel system, then it needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

On carburetor engines, plug reading is not the preferred method. Read up on how to check piston wash, which is more reliable for determining correct fuel:air ratio.

On your Ficht fuel injected engine, I would say the spark plug coloring looks reasonable.

The spark plugs should never have liquid on them. Was there water trapped in the cylinder head spark plug pockets? Always dry out the plug area before removing the plugs.

If the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) has not been changed yet, I would suspect that is causing the poor running.

There is normally a small amount of water in the hull after riding. You can check for leaks by leaving it strapped to the trailer front and back, back down the launch ramp, and run the engine with the seat off. There should be no visible water flow or drips coming into the hull. Use a small mirror to look under the drive shaft area.

Also make sure the water injection solenoid near the front/exhaust area is not leaking. These solenoids are know to fail. It can be removed and the water connections capped off.

Thread Information