Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

One Long Beep when I press the Start button - 02 GTX DI

I ran my ski down until it beeped telling me the oil was low, I recently filled the tank with oil, and went to start the engine. I got 1 long beep. I pushed the starter button again- and the engine cranked-but i couldnt get it to start. It does not kick anymore, I can hear it prime when the lanyard is attached, but when I press the start button, it just clicks. The battery is charged up. Anything I can check before taking it in.

I am new to the PWC world, and Like doing little things myself if possible.
    Any help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Tament View Post
    I ran my ski down until it beeped telling me the oil was low, I recently filled the tank with oil, and went to start the engine. I got 1 long beep. I pushed the starter button again- and the engine cranked-but i couldnt get it to start. It does not kick anymore, I can hear it prime when the lanyard is attached, but when I press the start button, it just clicks. The battery is charged up. Anything I can check before taking it in.

I am new to the PWC world, and Like doing little things myself if possible.
    Any help is appreciated

I would go here and download the 2001 manual anyway. They don't have a 2002 but the DI engine management section is where you will find info on the DESS system. You need two beeps before it will start. Usually 1 long beep means you put the key on wrong and tried to start it.

http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/2001-seadoo.php

Hey RumRunner, good to see you again
    I get the 2 beeps when I put the lanyard on, and the injector primes. I get the one long beep when i hit the start button. There is no maint light that comes on just the one long beep when I het the start.

Have you tried a different lanyard key? You may want to do the advance diag. mode for DESS to see if you can get more info.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    Have you tried a different lanyard key? You may want to do the advance diag. mode for DESS to see if you can get more info.

No I have not tried that yet, I wanted to try stuff I can do before taking it to the mechanic and pay $ for possible something small. Can anyone tell me what a seized engine would do when you try to start it. I stopped by the dealer on my way today, and asked the question, the guy said, I may be looking at a new engine, of course a dealer would say that more $ for them. Let me know.

Would a bad battery cause this to happen? I took my battery out and took it to the local autozone, and they said it was bad, I am getting a new one tomorrow, so we will see. I will keep the forum updated as I find the fix.

RETIRED !! In Mobile AL or Wherever I Want To Go
    +1
    YES, a bad battery or low battery will create all kinds of problems. Begin with a fully charged battery and then see what is going on.

Dead batteries are no good. Is it serviceable battery? I personally don't let anyone tell me a battery is bad that is serviceable. I get a hydrometer , check the water level, add only distilled water, charge battery, and test each cell myself. Also while I'm at it I'll look in the cells for calcification.

It may as well be a servicable battery, but, I take my three yr old son out with most of the times, and I would hate for it to leave me on the ocean, because I have a servicable battery then eventually went. I just got a new battery today, when i get Home I am going to charge it up, and slap it in the ski, lets see if it fires up. if not, i am going to start testing,

1: Remove plugs and see if I can turn the PTO by hand
    2: See if I can get engine to turn over with the plugs out and cables grounded
    3: Dunno know yet, the rest seems in depth, might have to physic myself up for that those. Removing pump and test, soaking cylinders with PB Blaster or trans oil for a few then try to see if I can turn PTO after that.
    4: TBD

Will keep post updated until my last try or fix.

Here is where I am so far with this diagnosis:

1: Remove plugs and see if I can turn the PTO by hand - Could not
    2: See if I can get engine to turn over with the plugs out and cables grounded - It did for a brief second then stopped.
    3: Took the head off and Soaked cylinders with PB Blaster, let sit for 30 mins then wipe away what was left, no able to turn the the PTO a little with bare hands, no full revolutions. Soaked with PB blaster again, now, leaving to sit until tomorrow, then I will try turn PTO again - I have attached pictures to show what the cylinder heads look like. Let me know what you think.
    4: TBD

Will keep post updated until my last try or fix.[/QUOTE]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Cylinders 004.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	207304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Cylinders 002.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	207305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Cylinders 002.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	207305Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Cylinders 003.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	207308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Cylinders 003.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	207308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Cylinders 004.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	207304

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information