Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

slt 780 fooling fuel gauge ?

Hello
    On my slt 780 I have determined that I have a float problem but I want to be 100% sure. Instead of opening the elec box I read somewhere else can you put the Pink and the black wire coming from the sending unit together to think the tank is full will this cause a short?
    Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk. I cant answer that one but someone will chime in shortly! Check out the search function and check it out! its loaded with info on everything..

+1
    i know when i disconected the black and pink wire the mfd just showed no bars for fuel and no red light.. or message

Hi I need to fool the ski in to a full tank so I can get it out of limp mode I want to be 100% sure before I start pulling the tank

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rbns View Post
    Hi I need to fool the ski in to a full tank so I can get it out of limp mode I want to be 100% sure before I start pulling the tank

it might work my way.. what year? because i know my buddy has the same issue with his fuel sender but it does not go into limp mode.. are you sure this is your issue.. and your not over heating?

No over heating the fuel tank is full and reads almost empty. its a 96 I read you can cut the gray wire in the elec box that puts the ski in limp mode but i do not want to open it up and possible screw up the seal. I read in another forum you can just cut the two sender wires pink & black and put them together and that will make the tank read full. I just want to confirm that Idea before I try .

+1
    ok well im not sure on that way to fix it.. but if your sure its going into limp mode like that then i would just pull the fuel sender and buy a new float for 30 bucks...

but to be honest ive never had a ski go into limp mode do to fuel.. or oil.

On the slt you need to pull the tank to get to the sender a hassle to do

+1
    same with the sl.. drain the tank.. undo the for bolts and push the tank forward.. thats all thats to it.. the tank does not really have to come out just unbolted

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Why are you worried about the seal on the electrical box?

It is designed to be opened up for servicing. There is a square O-ring type seal between the two halves. Just make sure it is in position and no wires are trapped between the box halves when you re-assemble.

Number one rule for electrical box work - disconnect the battery negative cable before you start working on the box.

Number two rule - never let the shell of the electrical box touch either battery post.

To bypass the fuel tank level sender, open the eletrical box. Find the Pink wire from the fuel sender, and unplug it. Tape it off and set aside.

Buy a 33 ohm resister (Radio Shack) and two insulated spade connectors. Crimp the connectors onto the resistor leads, and put some insulation over the resistor to prevent possible shorts.

Connect one end of the resistor to any Black terminal, and connect the other end to the Pink terminal where you removed the Pink wire earlier.

33 ohms is the electrical value of a fuel fuel tank reading, so your fuel display should now show full. If it does, then the sender in your fuel tank is reading low, and needs repair.

Once the sender is repaired, remove the resistor and re-connect the Pink wire to the Pink terminal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information