Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ultra 150 woes

Ultra 150 woes

I've got a 99 Ultra that is freshly re-built that is having some issues... Out of the water it will only reach 7000-7200rpms and doesn't really have any trouble getting there but it certainly hits a wall. In the water the ski is just a dog sometimes it will pull 6000rpms and sometimes maybe only 5000 or hell even as low as 4000... Soon as you get it out of the water it will rev fine.

I also have another one that that has also been re-built that runs perfect and on both jet ski's compression is showing 90 on all three cylinders so although that number is coming out lower than what I've read seeing how its reading that consistantly on both jet ski's and one is running like a raped ape I'll assume thats not the issue.

The pump has been pulled and checked... bearings have not gone bad.

Fresh plugs for the 99' model that are so expensive (ouch).

The front carb has been checked and had no signs of any debris or gunk so I didn't inspect the rest at this point probably should have but it just doesn't sound like its a fuel issue it almost sounds like its hitting the rev limiter... Is it common for cdi's to go bad?

The front and rear cover are a little over full of oil from the re-build... how bad is this?

Just ran it on the trailer in a pond behind my house still loaded on the trailer and the highest rpm it would pull was 4000 pushing on the trailer... is this normal?

Kind of aggravating because this one has the shred ride plate that everyone talks so good about but I can't get it running fast enough to test it out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719101701b.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	207103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719101704b.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	207104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719101702a.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	207105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0719101703b.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	207106

This is what was wrong with mine when it would only go to 4,000 rpm. I had no warning.

Those rpm sounds like your running on 2 cylinders. Try running it for 30 seconds or so on the trailer without the hose on it. Feel the plug bases to find the cold one. That will help narrow down where the problem is.

Alright, well good news the first guys post is certainly not my problem! hah

Actually I pulled the carbs off and it appears that there is anti freeze in the carbs.. looks like i'll be draining some tanks. Would explain all my issues... as all my plug bases are hot when its running but one or more cyl's is cutting out at higher rpm's when it is trying to suck in more fuel and its pulling the water in... would also be worse under load because it would obviously try to suck even more in.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    Alright, well good news the first guys post is certainly not my problem! hah

Actually I pulled the carbs off and it appears that there is anti freeze in the carbs.. looks like i'll be draining some tanks. Would explain all my issues... as all my plug bases are hot when its running but one or more cyl's is cutting out at higher rpm's when it is trying to suck in more fuel and its pulling the water in... would also be worse under load because it would obviously try to suck even more in.
    Antifreeze????? How did it get anti freeze in the fuel tank? Is it in all 3 or just 1? You shure you dont have a head gasket leaking?

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    I didnt know the Ultra had a closed loop cooling system.. Does it??

Quote Originally Posted by Saltwater n Premix View Post
    I didnt know the Ultra had a closed loop cooling system.. Does it??
    the ultra does not have a closed loop system,antifreeze ?that sounds [email protected]#$up,sure gas hasnt gone bad in the carbs?

I bought these ski's with blown motors and re-built them other one runs like a top but this one not so much... Don't know how anti-freeze got in there but one would assume there was some poured into one of the tanks... Its not a head gasket leak as it would be water and it wouldn't be inside the carbs. I believe its in the oil tank as a buddy pointed out how I had air bubbles in the oil pump lines which I was saying was no big deal but hind sight 20/20 I think that was the anti-freeze making its trip through the lines as the lines are green.

water/anti freeze will bead up in gas... Its is green and it certainly was beaded up in the bowl... Blue fuel with a green blob in the corner...

Also another question I have is how well are these ski's supposed to pull out of the hole? The other one I re-built pulls 62.8 on the gps with the pump re-shimmed but seems kinda weak out of the hole... certainly doesn't pull good if you do a spin as it takes quite a while to pull back up out of the water. Its bone stock and I'm hoping this ski runs a tad bit better as my buddy with a 2010 SHO isn't leaving me by very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    I bought these ski's with blown motors and re-built them other one runs like a top but this one not so much... Don't know how anti-freeze got in there but one would assume there was some poured into one of the tanks... Its not a head gasket leak as it would be water and it wouldn't be inside the carbs. I believe its in the oil tank as a buddy pointed out how I had air bubbles in the oil pump lines which I was saying was no big deal but hind sight 20/20 I think that was the anti-freeze making its trip through the lines as the lines are green.

water/anti freeze will bead up in gas... Its is green and it certainly was beaded up in the bowl... Blue fuel with a green blob in the corner...

Also another question I have is how well are these ski's supposed to pull out of the hole? The other one I re-built pulls 62.8 on the gps with the pump re-shimmed but seems kinda weak out of the hole... certainly doesn't pull good if you do a spin as it takes quite a while to pull back up out of the water. Its bone stock and I'm hoping this ski runs a tad bit better as my buddy with a 2010 SHO isn't leaving me by very much.
    you might be having cavatition issues,might wanna check out your sealing around the ride plate that ill cost ya top end too.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Well I didnt really wanna ask the obvious, "was there was antifreeze in the gas or oil tank?"... I've seen some stuff but I never seen gas go bad enough in any way to make it resemble antifreeze lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information