Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

1999 slx 1050 bogging down

I hope someone here can help us. My son has a 99 slx 1050. It runs great for 10 minutes or so and then boggs down. It sits for a few minutes and then it's fine again. Took it out today and ran great for 15 minutes then it wouldn't go over 30 mph. We just installed a new pvl update kit about 3 weeks ago. The MDF has never worked and it's unplugged. Is this an electrical problem or a fuel pump or plug wire? Very frustrated. Please help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Could be several things.

Did this machine get looked at by a service tech?

It could be overheating and triggering limp mode. Put your hand on the cylinders and the exhaust pipes. Nothing should be so hot you cannot touch it without burning yourself. About 143F, give or take.

The fuel tank vent could be stuck and creating a partial vacuum. Crack the fuel cap when the problem happens. Is there an air pressure release? Does the engine then run properly?

The MFD is unplugged at the back of the MFD - correct?

+1
    No we have not had a service tech look at it. Nobody wants to touch a Polaris around here. I thought about the overheating buy it doesn't seem hot. He cracked to cap the first time it happend and there was a pressure release but nothing changed. Yes the MFD is unplugged at the handle bars.

I also thought that the machine goes into limp mode when this happens. I am not familiar with the cooling of this ski. What should I be looking for?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    As a test (NOT a fix), unplug the CDI gray wire that plugs into the terminal board inside the electrical box. If the problem goes away, then the RPM limiter is causing the problem.

You then need to figure out why the RPM limiter is activating.

I also suggest you start looking for a working MFD display. It does help you see what is going on.

+1
    It seems to be shutting down because it's hot. I am not familiar with it's cooling system so I don't know what I am looking for.

+1
    I just checked under thClick image for larger version. 

Name:	cody slx 003.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	207252e hood and it looks like the oil is blocked off. If this is case my son has been running this thing with no oil since last fall! Is this possible? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cody slx 001.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	207251Could this be the reason the rev limiter is now stopping him from going over 30 mph after 10 minutes or so? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cody slx 002.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	207250

+1
    Those are the check valves that allow air into the oil/fuel tanks when under vacuum/volume drops. Loosening the fuel cap is a way to test the fuel check valve ( on the gray hose )

About 10 minutes sounds like the overheat limiter,test as K447 sugested and only long enough to see if it helps-feel the cylinders to see if they are too hot !. While in the elect box-is the 1/4 amp fuse for MFD OK ?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    sometimes the temp sender will trip even though its not really that hot.its a single brown wire that runs under the pto cylinder and connects under the exhuast manifold.its got a quick disconnect about 12" back from the manifold,disconnect it and see what happens

+1
    So if it is overheating what's the Fix?

If you're not sure if it's getting oil then put some in the gas. When the oil tank takes a pint, then the gas tank should take about 5 gal. If an up-date kit was installed, the timing could be too far in advance and making it overheat. Also, check the thermostat and the water intake for obstruction or weeds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information