Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 Seadoo GSX/RFI

Hi. This is my first post here, so bare with me as I'm not sure of all the technical terms for things.

My girlfriend and I two summers ago purchased a 1999 Seadoo GSX/RFI. We ran it all that summer after, and last summer with no issues. I've winterized it every year and kept it under cover when not in use and we drain the water and clean it up after each use. The beginning of this summer we took it in and paid to have it tuned up so it would be ready without any issues. However, the first time we took it out after having the maintenance done, it died on us at about 50mph. We attempted to start it back up a few times and each time it just "clunked" at us and the read-out said "Hi-Temp" whatever that means. We had it towed to the ramp (yes at only 5mph) and taken out of the water. A buddy of ours took a look at it for us, and found out that the end cap on the pump (the pointy thingy facing out of the back of the ski attached to the impeller) was missing a bolt. He took the pump apart and it looked like someone had taken a blow torch to the inside of it. The wear ring was also torn up pretty good. I took the entire assembly into a different shop to get their opinion and they thought that because of the missing bolt, water had gotten into the end cap and caused the oil to drain out hence the "burning" effect. I took the assembly back to the person that had done the maintenance on the ski and he took full responsibility and offered to fix it all for free. He apparently couldn't get the shaft loose in the assembly so gave us a different one off of a ski with the same size motor. So, this last weekend we took the ski out again and after riding for MAYBE a total of 30-45 minutes over two days, the same exact thing happened. Just died in the water. When I tried to start it back up, it again said "Hi-Temp". Today, I took the ski into the guy that gave us that pump and he thinks it's something in the engine but won't know unless he rips things apart (at $150 just for the labor on that). He said at the very least it would be about $1200 if it was the top part of the engine, more if it's the lower. It being the end of the month, we have no money so I brought the ski home and pulled the pump off of the back just to see if it looked anything like the previous one. The pump itself looks perfect and there was plenty of oil in the cap. I ran water through the inlet in the back to flush the engine and water came out the back tiny hole like it's supposed to.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else it could be? And, do you think that his initial screw up with not putting the bolt on before with the other pump could have caused the current issues we're having, or is this something totally unrelated? Any help anyone can give would be highly highly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

+1
    does the ski turn over and not start? Mine would run for 20 - 40 min and then just die and not restart. What I found is that the battery was not charging. So the ski would run until there was not enough juice and then die. These RFI's need a lot of voltage to run correctly. I believe the cause of my problems was metal shaving in the mag cup, causing spikes through the stator and burning up the rectifier. I pulled the mag cover off and stator, then cleaned the parts real well. I put a rectifier from a 4tec on ( had to change the plugs so it would work correctly) I rode it this past weekend with out an issue. Search on her for my post and also pwctoday. I wrote a lot about my issues. Hope this helps.

It did start up and turn over, yes. The first time it died it was running just perfect with no issues. Then, BAM dead in the water. After replacing the assembly, it ran ok for the 30 minutes, then same thing... Just dead in the water. After it died both times, it didn't even try to turn over. Just clunked at us and read "Hi-Temp"

+1
    See if you can turn the engine over by hand. Just turn the shaft. If you can turn it by hand then pull you plug and do a comprashion check on them. if your over 120 your engine should be fine. So check the battiers and other things.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    find a better shop in a hurry!

a clunk and a high-temp message is simply a bad temp sensor..but could be a sized balancer shaft, bad starter or seized jetpump ( pretty much the same as a blown engine labor wise)

don't just do a top end..that's like holding a grenade with the pin out between your legs

a "good" shop would:

check battery voltage when engaging the starter (bad starter check)
    pull jetpump ( check for sized jetpump)
    spin engine and check for compression ( may require a new starter if starter is shot)

missing one bolt from the tail cone wouldn't normally cause all the oil to leak out IF the cone was correctly installed in the first place, my guess is one bolt was out and the other weren't tightened.

The hitemp message is bogus..the sensor may have melted or the wire was laying on the exhaust pipe and THAT melted

disconnect the sensor lead from the cylinder head, pull the plugs (connect the plug wires to the posts near the battery to ground them) and try to spin the engine over. If water shoots out of the cylinders spray a can of WD-40 in there and find a real shop real fast. Water in an engine will junk it in a day or so if not tended to.

We're all ready to lend a hand here..just get a voltmeter, charge the battery, get a plug wrench a can of wd-40 and some gas and let us know when you are ready to work.

I'll pull the battery and charge it and try it then. The guy at the shop took the cover off of the shaft and tried to turn it manually, but couldn't get it to spin. Then he pulled the plugs off and tried to start it still and nothin. One of the sparkplugs was grey on the end of it and he told me that was metal from somewhere inside. I thought it may have been a clogged cooling system from some of the stuff I read online, so I ran water through to flush it and water came out the little hole in the back like it's supposed to, so I don't think it's that. As I said before I also pulled the jetpump off of the back and it looks fine to me (nothing missing and plenty of oil in the cone). He didn't however ground out the plugs on anything, just let them dangle while he tried to start it up. I'd check the temp sensor or the wire, if I knew where to find it. All of the diagrams and pics I saw of where it was online all looked the same to me. Just wires and plastic which is pretty much everything inside under the seat.

+1

well done

the engine sounds like it siezed..that "gray stuff" is ground up aluminum, not being able to turn the crank by hand is very very bad. It's a very expensive engine to repalce..so expensive in fact that it might be a better move to part it out.

running flush into the engine while it's not running didn't help anything, as a matter of fact, it puts water into the crankcase, which will totally trash the crankshaft ( which is likely toast anyway if there was aluminum sludge on the plugs.

sorry...it sounds like a goner to me.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    +1 mmpeter...id pull the head and see what the cylinder walls look like. in all it sounds like the little pin on the crank bearing may have spun and trashed the lower end.

So, what I'm reading here is that the ski is pretty much trashed right? Better to just try and part it out rather than fix it? Or should i pull the top off the motor and see what it looks like inside there first?

+1
    nothing good will come of tearing the motor down. A complete core with all the nuts/bolts/parts in place has some value..a box of parts banging together does not have any value.

as the saying goes.."if you can find that model ski perhaps with a problem hull, you might get back into the game cheaper"...., but for all intents and purposes, metal slush puts that engine into the uneconomical to repair status; well at least I think so.

So unless this ski is all tricked out and has mother of pearl paint..get detached from it and move into something new. With the "season" "over" for a few , you might find a deal if you sniff around.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information