Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new guy here

new guy here

hello everyone. new guy here. just bought two ski's as projects with trailor for 1200.
    a 96 polaris slx 780 and a 95 tigershark 640 monte carlo. the polaris runs but needs love and hte monte needs the new bendix i just bought put in and it runs.

after surfin the web for a few weeks this seems to be the place to be.done alot of reading andstill got lots to learn as i am completly new to the skis cept for riding other peoples skis here and there.

i test drove the slx in a pond(lol) and it ran good. i think it ran better in the pond but i also think thats because the pond was uber tiny compared to the river. lol. any how bought it and took it home and checked wat was obious to check i guess.lol and took her on the river. ran like shit lol. took her home drained the gas changed the plugs(br8es) they had some 9's inm there and they were mismatched. gapped to .028. and toook her out. ran better but not much. there is no ass. boggs bad on hard turns and such. so am bout to check the carbs out when i finnish posting.

well hello and thanks everyone for the info that is already here and i will be off to search.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Check the fuel pump, lines and petcock also. The golden rule around here is to rebuild those carbs no matter what. You have no idea if they have been done before or not and even if they were they may not have been done right. You may want to cut your plug wires back 1/4" and then strap them back in the boots, especially if someone was running mismatched plugs in there.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below and start reading

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

These guys are pointing you in the right direction.

Update the fuel system and you should be alright.

I would advise against riding it as is, until you figure out the bogging issue. If it's running lean (which hard turns can sometimes cause) you may do some piston damage.

New hoses, petcock, carbs rebuilt and adjusted back to spec, plus clipping the wires back about 1/4" should clean her up.

Alrite seems I got some work to do huh. The carbs were cleaned recently by the old owners uncle so they are spotless but I'm guessing he just pulled em off and cleaned then and put them back on so I'm sure there outta wack. Were should I buy. Gasket kit from and carb rebuild kit. I saw them somewhere but with all the reading I'm like shit. Lol. Gonna get new fuel lines this weekend for sure.
    Anyone got a link to the manaul?

+1
    You can get the rebuild kits from many places. I got mine from Sharp's marine at a good price.

Be sure to get genuine Mikuni rebuild kits for Mikuni Super BN 38mm carbs. And just because the PO uncle went through them, don't assume anything. I find alot of guys don't ever go into the back side of the carbs where the filters are. (there are small internal filters that can get clogged and cause a whole lota problems.

+1
    Or to check the the jets are installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    You can get the rebuild kits from many places. I got mine from Sharp's marine at a good price.

Be sure to get genuine Mikuni rebuild kits for Mikuni Super BN 38mm carbs. And just because the PO uncle went through them, don't assume anything. I find alot of guys don't ever go into the back side of the carbs where the filters are. (there are small internal filters that can get clogged and cause a whole lota problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Or to check the the jets are installed.
    Who installs carbs with NO jets??????

No I don't assume anything with him cleaning them. I willl look into a rebuild kit and I'm going to have to get a gasket for the intake as well. And fuel and oil lines. If I want to mix my gas can I install the resitor and just leave the oil resevior empty or will thta cause problems?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information