NEWB Needs Some Help!

I recently joined a couple other PWC sites...but this looks like the best place to get help.

About 2 weeks ago I bought a 2000 XL 1200 Ltd (my first ski). Checked the compression and looked it over and everything looked good. My second time taking it out it lasted about 10 min and the exhaust temp warning came up. Took it to the local shop and they told me my jet pump needs to be rebuilt, and it's going to cost me $1300.

This didn't sound right to me, and I wasn't about to invest $1300 into a ski I just paid $2500 for. Looking online it seems this is a common problem, and that it is usually the catalytic converter. Looks like I will be buying a d-plate.

Anyways, I also would like to know of any other preventive maintenance I should do. I've heard about Wave Eater clips, the d-plate, and converting to premix. I'm not sure if there is anything else that is (relatively) cheap and easy to help make my ski last longer and run faster. I also can't find the wave eater clips anywhere online, so if someone could provide me with a link that would be great!

What's you compression now? and can you post any photos of your plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    What's you compression now? and can you post any photos of your plugs?
    My spark plugs? I can do that, but the previous owner changed them the day I picked it up. The compression was about 110psi across all 3 cylinders I believe.

Ok, I found the WaveEater clips at Riva. I think I'll order those along with the d-plate. Can anyone tell me if I need the Cat sensor chip with my ski?

Also, should I order the oil block off kit as well? I've read mixed opinions on premix. I'd prefer to keep the oil injection system, but I really don't want to blow the motor either...

+1
    Must have the cat chip with the D-Plate.

As for pre-mix vs injection, I've got one ski on each. My 80 hour GP760 2-cylinder is still injection. It's easy to see the oil lines to check if they're still on and in good condition. Every time I gas it up I add oil, check the lines and make sure there's no oil sitting in the bottom of the hull.
    The XL1200 is another story. You can't see anything with that 3-cylinder motor stuffed inside. Pre-mix is great "peace of mind".

Alright, I ordered everything, including the oil block off kit. Thanks for the help!!! Hopefully this solves my problem...

Thread Information