Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pump Bearing Sound *Video*

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find the cause of a whirring noise under the seat. Similar to the supercharger noise, but amplified 10x. I recently pulled the pump to check the bearings, unfortunately I don't have the correct tool to remove the impeller. When spun by hand, it makes a loud internal rolling noise. There were traces of gray water inside the cone.

The ski is 100% stock, never ingested rocks, or anything damaged.

Here are two videos of the pump. I'm trying to get my facts straight as to what the problem is before I get the dealer involved.

+1
    front bearing is shot for sure. If you grab the prop can you move it side to side or in and out? Does it look like the prop has been riding on the housing?
    Here is a vid of a pump I pulled for a good friend. When I got it apart the prop was impossible to remove from the shaft and the front bearings had turned to what looked like skittles.

Looks like you might have caught yours early enough as long as there is no play to where the shaft could push tight at the coupler (front to rear)

+1
    I have the tool and I'm located in brick or Linden. Feel free to borrow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew: Wow that pump is SHOT! Mine wasn't nearly as bad.
    Scott: Thanks for the offer to borrow the tool. I looked it up in my owners manual and it seems like nothing more than a bolt that fits into the center of the impeller. For preventative maintenance, I might just buy one to inspect/replace bearings periodically.

I took the ski to Toms River Kawasaki just now, I can pull the pump in about a half hour and wouldn't have a problem rebuilding it myself. But reading the horror stories of fried engines and worn blocks; i'd rather let them take a look, just so nothing major is brewing. The last thing I want is a new engine.

I'm depressed leaving my baby with all those sick, abused skis at the dealer! I miss her already lol

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack77 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find the cause of a whirring noise under the seat. Similar to the supercharger noise, but amplified 10x. I recently pulled the pump to check the bearings, unfortunately I don't have the correct tool to remove the impeller. When spun by hand, it makes a loud internal rolling noise. There were traces of gray water inside the cone.

The ski is 100% stock, never ingested rocks, or anything damaged.

Here are two videos of the pump. I'm trying to get my facts straight as to what the problem is before I get the dealer involved.

Why get the dealer involved Mack ?
    it is just wear and tear...........you are up for a basic pump rebuild.........We know the engine is OK !!
    I personally think you are going about this the wrong/expensive way, If I was you I would have only sent the pump to the Stealer or Impros !! if you are not comfortable in doing it yourself.
    Nothing worse than leave a perfectly good ski at a Stealers to get left out side and worked on by under aged monkeys....

Impros rebuild or similar on the pump
    You put it back in , Reverse the way you pulled it apart
    Bingo back on the ASAP

Waz

Send it to Impros, youll get new bearings, seals, pump shaft mod and proper clearance and your prop will look new again!!! Tell Dave that Joe from Florida refered you. Good Luck!!
    P.S. I would follow sirbreaksalot's advice!

The ski is under warranty, so it shouldn't cost anything...

The pump was out of the ski, (like you can see in the video) I asked the service manager if he wanted just the pump, but he wanted to check a few other things. I'm getting super thick milky oil in the catch can, and some very, very light milky oil in the engine. Perhaps a cracked head? I figured why not just bring it in, I paid for an extended warranty...why not use it.

In the future i'm going to certainly rebuild my pump myself to avoid this type of problem, or give Impros a call. Thanks for the help the other day Waz, we'll have to chat again some time.

Mack

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    front bearing is shot for sure. If you grab the prop can you move it side to side or in and out? Does it look like the prop has been riding on the housing?
    Here is a vid of a pump I pulled for a good friend. When I got it apart the prop was impossible to remove from the shaft and the front bearings had turned to what looked like skittles.

Looks like you might have caught yours early enough as long as there is no play to where the shaft could push tight at the coupler (front to rear)
    umm.....yeah....video looks a bit toooo familiar.....or rather the pump does.....LOL

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    thanks for the extra info,
    now I understand why u have sent it to the dealer.

just hate people wasting money when not needed......But in your case i understand why its off to the Dealers

yes we will chat again soon.

Waz

+1

Smile

Wow!!
    I am glad that you caught it in time. I can only imagine what someone would have to go through if it wasn't caught in time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information