RAVE valves questions

Ok so I just spent a boat load of time searching up RAVE valve questions and threads and have found some great information but I still have a couple questions of my own.

The ski I am referring to is a 96 XP (787).
    I am going to replace the o-rings and gaskets no matter what but since I have the raves out and cleaned should I just replace the bellows even if they look alright (they are green in color)?

What should be the tolerance or clearance between base of rave valve assembly and the rave valve stem? I can measure and post what mine is if that helps

For the retainer spring that holds the bellow to the cap I have read to cut the spring to make it fit more snuggly onto the cap, is it worth it?

And lastly how do you guys feel about putting the zip tie on the bottom of the bellow that attaches to the base of the rave valve assembly? yes/no? will it stop leaks?

If anyone else has some other tips or trick I am all ears. Thanks for any help.
    And one more thing if anyone is interested I can post a detailed description with pictures of the process, just let me know.

If the bellows are leaking, replace them. Hold them up to a light and see if there are any holes in them. What do your rave valves look like (post pic). Do they look worn? Do you have the updated slot type? Do not cut your retainer spring. Zip ties are a must.

I have the same engine, 787. have had problems with my RAVE since I bought it last year. So you guys are saying that I should zip tie the bottom of the bellow? the part that attaches to the valve housing? seems like a good idea.

these variable exhaust systems seem to be a pain in the ass, can't I just remove them and all together and cap of the slots? how much can that hurt?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the green bellows are the updated versions. if you look at the new kits there are those spring rings that go around the bottom of the bellow as well as the top. the update kit also adds springs under the cap that the rave screws into to complement the springs that are under the cap with the red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hardguy View Post
    I have the same engine, 787. have had problems with my RAVE since I bought it last year. So you guys are saying that I should zip tie the bottom of the bellow? the part that attaches to the valve housing? seems like a good idea.

these variable exhaust systems seem to be a pain in the ass, can't I just remove them and all together and cap of the slots? how much can that hurt?
    NO! you do not want to remove the Rave (power ) valves. You would lose your low-end power. The port timing is designed to require reduced exhaust port timing at low rpm.

I made my retainer springs for the bottom of the bellows from a set of springs from the top of the bellows. Just cut them back until they fit tightly around the base of the bellows.

I need springs on the bottom of the bellows too, where exactly? the bellows attach to the housing, are we talking inside the bellow and piston?

Quote Originally Posted by s/d-daddy View Post
    NO! you do not want to remove the Rave (power ) valves. You would lose your low-end power. The port timing is designed to require reduced exhaust port timing at low rpm.

I made my retainer springs for the bottom of the bellows from a set of springs from the top of the bellows. Just cut them back until they fit tightly around the base of the bellows.

+1
    Instead of zip ties, use a piece of bailing wire, and twist it tight. I used this on my 951, and it worked great. I would suggest that if you use zip ties, to use the ones that have the stainless steel inserts instead of the plastic ones.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    I use good quality small zip ties with no problems. On the top spring unscrew the male and female ends and cut about 1/8 of a inch of the female end of the spring and screw it back together. Oh yeah it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to the slotted type on your 96xp that's what i run in mine.

Well I just finished up and put the RAVE valves back together, going to drop it in the water today and see if there is any improvement.

As far as attaching the bottom part of the bellow to the housing instead of using a zip tie, or spring, or wire, I actually used a large o-ring. It was kind of a pain to get on there but it made a significant improvement on sealing force. I will let you guys know if I have a problem with it.

I measured my valve and valve body opening, I don’t know what stock dimensions are but mine measured in at: RAVE valve = 0.391” and lower housing = 0.397”. So in my setup there is a clearance of 0.006”, I don’t know what is should be or when it should be replaced, maybe someone else will.
    Here are some pictures of my endeavors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0882.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	207565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0890.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	207564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0881.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	207567Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0893.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	207563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0889.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	153.1 KB 
ID:	207562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0891.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	207566

Thread Information