Capsized waverunner and now I can't get it started

My ski capsized on Saturday. We had to tow it back to shore, pulled the plugs and let all the water run out. Got it home and took out the plugs and started turning it over. There is a little spray coming up but not a lot. Took our air compressor and blow air in and a lot of water came out. But it still won't start. It sounds like it wants to start but almost like the battery is dead but it's not I have it on the charger. Can someone give me advice?? I know i'm up against a clock as it's been 3 days and I still can't get it started. HELP!!! I have GP1300R

+1
    pull the plug out of the water separator, try putting some good gas in the carbs and see if it will kick over and burn what you poured in the carbs. pull a plug, put it in the boot, ground it and turn it over and make sure its sparking. with no vapor around so you dont explode.

if it runs when you put gas down the carbs water probably got in the tank

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lmccall View Post
    My ski capsized on Saturday. We had to tow it back to shore, pulled the plugs and let all the water run out. Got it home and took out the plugs and started turning it over. There is a little spray coming up but not a lot. Took our air compressor and blow air in and a lot of water came out. But it still won't start. It sounds like it wants to start but almost like the battery is dead but it's not I have it on the charger. Can someone give me advice?? I know i'm up against a clock as it's been 3 days and I still can't get it started. HELP!!! I have GP1300R
    you might as well pull it apart and rebuild it now as water is already started to rust the internals

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lmccall View Post
    It does not take a lot of water to keep a cylinder from fireing off. If all three plugs are out and you are just getting a little water, then it is a matter of focusing on making 1 or two of the driest cylinders fire. When a cylinder fires, it will rev much higher, getting rid of the water that is in the worst cylinder. Eventually the 3rd cylinder will fire on its own.

Mix up a little 40:1 premix gas, and put about 7cc's of gas in at least two cylinders and try to get it started. You may have to do this a few times to get it running and stay running.

We do not really know that your crankcase was completely flooded.... that is the assumption. Keep trying to get it started, and if it does start to run, don't forget to turn the water hose on so that you don't fry a cylinder. Once you do get it going, you really need to put it in the water and run the snot out of it.

if your engine was completely flooded, which is your worst case scenario, then chances are you are looking at a complete rebuild. reguardless of what you do at this point

A stock engine (I am assumeing that is what you have) has lots of components to keep this very thing from happening or at least slowing the flooding down, so expect the best and be prepared for the worst.

Thread Information