Question on impeller design

I don't think i understand the VX-110 impeller design. Someone enlighten me please.

My understanding of leading/trailing angles (18/22 for example) is that the leading angle controls the size of the "bite" of water taken; while the trailing angle control the rate of acceleration through the pump.

All the other impellers I see (like FX 13/19) have at least 6 degrees of accelration trhough the pump; while the VX has only 4 degrees.

Would my VX benefit from a 15/22 or 16/22 instead of the 18 leading angle?

I get the reduction that Yamaha tried on this to reduce the impeller speed but I just don't get this entire design. Also why doesn't someone make a drive/driven gear combo to change the ratio in the output shaft instead of mucking with impellers? I mean it seems like a simple process to refit a different gear ratio at the output shaft of the engine.

The VX absolutely sucks at getting out of the hole, and the top end aint much to brag about either. Fuel economy is fantastic though.

Thanks for the replies.
    Eldon.

+1
    Here's a good thread on the topic:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...rs-really-mean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ehiebert View Post
    I don't think i understand the VX-110 impeller design. Someone enlighten me please.

My understanding of leading/trailing angles (18/22 for example) is that the leading angle controls the size of the "bite" of water taken; while the trailing angle control the rate of acceleration through the pump.

All the other impellers I see (like FX 13/19) have at least 6 degrees of accelration trhough the pump; while the VX has only 4 degrees.

Would my VX benefit from a 15/22 or 16/22 instead of the 18 leading angle?

I get the reduction that Yamaha tried on this to reduce the impeller speed but I just don't get this entire design. Also why doesn't someone make a drive/driven gear combo to change the ratio in the output shaft instead of mucking with impellers? I mean it seems like a simple process to refit a different gear ratio at the output shaft of the engine.

The VX absolutely sucks at getting out of the hole, and the top end aint much to brag about either. Fuel economy is fantastic though.

Thanks for the replies.
    Eldon.
    you are correct a 15/22 should get you going faster IF the prop does not cavatate on take off

Thread Information