Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy '01 Pro 1200 tried it all still limp mode

I am the single owner of a 2001 pro 1200. It has been the best ski ever! But, this year I was riding and it just lagged out on me.. I have read through these forums and trouble shot everything in here I could manage, from tempo line replacement, spark plugs and wires, battery etc. I am no mechanic and am throwing in the towel. It is up for grabs.
    It fires right up on the water, takes of like the beast it is, than bogs down and stays at 4200 or so rpms. On land it fires right up with no issue whatsoever. I do not have the resources to figure it out nor the time.. All the shops here want nothing to do with it because it is a Polaris and they "are out of business". Man, I am tired of hearing that line!! The one shop that will work on it has GIANT $_$ FOR EYEBALLS! I know it is probably something simple like a carb rebuild as the tempo was gunky. the CDI has never had a drop of water in it i opened it up and it is spotless. the display unit is the same. as i said never had any trouble with it. It has never been Hydro locked or anything. If anyone has any guesses or simple suggestions great, otherwise I am taking realistic offers!
    I have pics and can take any pics you'd like.
    can also post video of it firing up and running or anything else you'd like.
    Thanks,
    Tyler
    [email protected]
    830-613-4422

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Dont give up.. Remove the Grey(Tan) wire from the CDI to the electrical board and report your findings. I think the 01 1200 only goes into limp mode for overheat. Check the temp probe in the water bar for a short.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk !
    Marble Falls Texas ? If you were closer I'd offer to buy it, Since you're so far away I'll offer to help fix it. LOL

I agree with Beerdart, sounds like it is in limp mode due to overheat. Check the brass fitting ( it has a screen) located at the top of the red exhaust pipe. It has a rubber hose attached to it- if you follow that hose for about 12-20 inches or so,there should be an aluminum valve looking thing-unscrew the 2 halves of that and see if the small check ball inside is stuck,and watch out for the spring!.

You guys have me some what re-motivated.. I forgot to mention that when it initially happened I replaced the spark plugs and put sea foam in it hoping for a "miracle"... Then my daughter and I went and checked it out and she ran like a whistle. So I assumed it worked. Next time out it immediately bogged on me. That would sound like both the suggestions above. A short or a stuck valve of some sort. I will look into it that now and get back to you..
    Thanks alot,
    T

ok checked the screen on the brass fitting, it was pretty clean. But when I followed the line it just plugged back into the exhaust about 12" down, so there is no valve inline. the closest thing I found that was similar to what you described was impossible to see so I pulled it and it has an aluminum bracket that holds a rubber mount with a spring and a tan wire, but seems to be a heat sensor of some sort, not really what you are describing.. let me know if you need pics of this sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Dont give up.. Remove the Grey(Tan) wire from the CDI to the electrical board and report your findings. I think the 01 1200 only goes into limp mode for overheat. Check the temp probe in the water bar for a short.
    Sorry to be a newb, where is the temp probe? Or could this be the senor that i pulled as I mentioned above?

Last edited by tdizzle; 07-28-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: double post

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
    Sorry to be a newb, where is the temp probe? Or could this be the senor that i pulled as I mentioned above?
    Yes, that is the temp sensor. Make sure it is not grounded anywhere.

My '01 SLX has the "jet works-flow control valve" Sorry, I assumed the Pro would also.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Yes, that is the temp sensor. Make sure it is not grounded anywhere.

My '01 SLX has the "jet works-flow control valve" Sorry, I assumed the Pro would also.
    No worries... So I can't see that it is grounded out anywhere... should I get a voltmeter and check if it is shorting out... Could the sensor be out? Any other suggestions on what it could be?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information