Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 virage tx melting plastic exhaust.

Hey guys I am working on a 2001 virage that is melting the plastic exhaust. I checked the cooling lines they are open. Could that red filter cause this? The rubber ball was stuck in there so it would not open. thanks for any help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Red filter?

That sounds like an aftermarket p[art - a Jetworks valve. Until you get the problem sorted out, remove that valve and let the water flow.

Also remove and check/clean the screen for the exhaust water injection, and the water injection orifice.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Red filter?

That sounds like an aftermarket p[art - a Jetworks valve. Until you get the problem sorted out, remove that valve and let the water flow.

Also remove and check/clean the screen for the exhaust water injection, and the water injection orifice.
    Thanks for the response k. It is the filter that comes stock on them. It goes inline with the hose that goes to the screen you are talking about. I checked the screen and it is clear. One thing I did not mention is it blows off the plastic cross tube on the exhaust. and when it was running with it on it smoked really bad once it got hot and smelled like oil

Mine did exactly the same thing. The dealer removed the check ball from within the red housing and had no problems since.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Post a photo of that valve configuration. Does not sound stock to me.

Removing the ball from inside the jetworks valve renders it open - just flows water all the time. That is the safe thing to do. Same as removing the valve.

Did you check the orifice at the other end of the small hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAl View Post
    Mine did exactly the same thing. The dealer removed the check ball from within the red housing and had no problems since.
    Yeah I am going to try that I think the valve is there to keep water out of the pipe at idle to prevent a low end bog.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Post a photo of that valve configuration. Does not sound stock to me.

Removing the ball from inside the jetworks valve renders it open - just flows water all the time. That is the safe thing to do. Same as removing the valve.

Did you check the orifice at the other end of the small hose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will try to post a picture. Yes I think we are talking about the same kind of valve. It was stock on the 1200 tx and txi I think

+1
    Yes there were a couple years 2001 and 2002 where the jet works valve came stock on the exhaust pipe water line on a couple models. Most likely the ball was stuck so no water flow. Also check the screen in the water fitting on the exhaust pipe to make sure it's not clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    Yes there were a couple years 2001 and 2002 where the jet works valve came stock on the exhaust pipe water line on a couple models. Most likely the ball was stuck so no water flow. Also check the screen in the water fitting on the exhaust pipe to make sure it's not clogged.
    Thanks for the response yes the ball was stuck in the filter. I just checked on the parts and the cross over tube and the right side plastic RESONATOR are no longer available. Do you know where I can get these parts?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    you can remove both sound resonators and use a factory crossover tube from a 97 slt 700 i believe.it will be a hair louder

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information