Cutting impeller edge vs. bending

Has anyone experimented with cutting the edge of the prop blade vs. bending it? Aside from being irreversable, is there any difference in the end result?

I don't know this for a fact...but yes, I'd say there was a difference in performance.

For one...you're changing the angle of pitch vs removing length of blade.

+1
    Don't do it unless you plan on machining the hub, otherwise serious cavitation!!!!!!!!!!!

I was told this is a good method of "adjusting" the prop for altitude. LOL

+1
    By reducing the overlap it will free up the prop a bit. Be carefull to try and keep exactly the same on each blade or it will vibrate. This will also reduce bite causing cavitation depending on how much you remove. I recomend cutting the leading edge first.

I have some reduced overlap Solas 4 blades if you want to try one of those. I can pitch for your altitude also. They are used so not very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    By reducing the overlap it will free up the prop a bit. Be carefull to try and keep exactly the same on each blade or it will vibrate. This will also reduce bite causing cavitation depending on how much you remove. I recomend cutting the leading edge first.

I have some reduced overlap Solas 4 blades if you want to try one of those. I can pitch for your altitude also. They are used so not very expensive.
    Awesome. I appreciate that a lot. Let me know how much and where to send the money. I'm going to do a stainless ring at the same time (mine is FUBAR already).

I trimmed exactly 4mm off the trailing edge of my stock prop last night. I scribed it and did it very evenly. I was told by the local Sea Doo place that this will yield a couple more MPH up here. I will test tonight. My stock prop was pretty dinged up already so I didn't feel bad cutting it.

Thread Information