Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

97-GS No start No beep

Ive searched the forum to find some help but it seems this 1997 GS has a different MPEM then the 96 Xps etc. It has the black mpem in the front of the ski. I picked this up for a little project. I have no history on the ski. Heres where im at.

New battery, Put the lanyard on, no beep. No start. Checked all fuses. Cleaned all grounds. I jumped the solenoid to check compression (150 both cyls) I tested the wire going to the solenoid and im getting nothing when the button is pressed. I read on another post to disconnect the lanyard post wires and jump the 2 black wires (MPEM side) Possibly this key is not programmed? Or bad Lanyard post? . Still nothing. No voltage to the black/yel wire. Check all wires for breaks/bent pins and all is good. How can I test to see if the MPEM has 12 volts going in, and 12 volts coming out? Any other ideas?

pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	207367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	207368  

Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    Ive searched the forum to find some help but it seems this 1997 GS has a different MPEM then the 96 Xps etc. It has the black mpem in the front of the ski. I picked this up for a little project. I have no history on the ski. Heres where im at.

New battery, Put the lanyard on, no beep. No start. Checked all fuses. Cleaned all grounds. I jumped the solenoid to check compression (150 both cyls) I tested the wire going to the solenoid and im getting nothing when the button is pressed. I read on another post to disconnect the lanyard post wires and jump the 2 black wires (MPEM side) Possibly this key is not programmed? Or bad Lanyard post? . Still nothing. No voltage to the black/yel wire. Check all wires for breaks/bent pins and all is good. How can I test to see if the MPEM has 12 volts going in, and 12 volts coming out? Any other ideas?
    Not much to that one. Take a look at the schematic so you can get your pin designations right. At the mpem it's 1-26 red/purple stripe and 1-19 is ground.

http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/199...hop-manual.php

Thanks for that link! So help me understand this as I am a little behind on the electrical..lol

Should the 1-26(+) pin have 12 volts 100% of the time? As in doesnt matter if the lanyard is connected or not?
    I tested them and Im getting nothing. Which tells me I dont even have power getting to the MPEM?

Thanks for that link! So help me understand this as I am a little behind on the electrical..lol

Should the 1-26(+) pin have 12 volts 100% of the time? As in doesnt matter if the lanyard is connected or not?
    I tested them and Im getting nothing. Which tells me I dont even have power getting to the MPEM?

Yes the red/purp striped wire is hot all the time it's the one connected to battery power at the starter solenoid. There is a 15amp fuse there too.

Ok figured out that part. Someone had the wire on the wrong solenoid post. It was hooked up to the post going to the starter. Swapped it and I now have 12 volts at pin 1-26. and a good ground at 1-19. Still no beeps or start.

So the lanyard I have for it is not OEM. Possibly its not programmed in? So I just once again disconnected the post wires and ran a jumper wire to both black wires on the plug. Is that all that needs to be done to fool the MPEM into thinking there is a key on it? Im still getting nothing.

So the lanyard I have for it is not OEM. Possibly its not programmed in? So I just once again disconnected the post wires and ran a jumper wire to both black wires on the plug. Is that all that needs to be done to fool the MPEM into thinking there is a key on it? Im still getting nothing.

Recheck the blk/ylw stripped wire for 12v. and check that ground wire too. I gotta get to work so good luck Kt.

Im getting 11.8 volts to the blk/ylw wire. Battery shows 12.38 (not sure if that matters). Thanks for the help Ron I think im slowly moving along with this thing!

Ive done everything I know to do as far as testing. Looks like I will be getting another MPEM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information