Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RXP taking on some water ?

Fellas I have an 04 RXP that last time out took on about a gallon of water.

The owners manual is crap and vauge at best, how does this machine get rid of unwanted water and where should I look first.

The machine has low hours on it if it matters

Is there a bilge pump and if so where is it hidden cause I could not find one.
    What about vaccum bailers, are they on this machine and how are they checked

Thanks to all for any and all help

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Fellas I have an 04 RXP that last time out took on about a gallon of water.

The owners manual is crap and vauge at best, how does this machine get rid of unwanted water and where should I look first.

The machine has low hours on it if it matters

Is there a bilge pump and if so where is it hidden cause I could not find one.
    What about vaccum bailers, are they on this machine and how are they checked

Thanks to all for any and all help
    The 04s have vacume bailer system on them take ure service compartment cover off and ull see clear vynil pipes zip tied to the rubber gooseneck exhaust follow those pipes down to ure hull and ull see the system im sure someone could post the shop manual diagram of what it looks like i would but i have the 06 diagram which is different. I doubt ure bailer system is why ure taking on water though. but if u are its good to make sure that its workign correctley

Mjp:

I have the same thing going on, but I have about 165 hours on my 04'

Do your self a favor. Take off the seat support.

two alen head screws at the front, two on the inside near the back, and one under the rubber BRP plug in the back. Pull all bolts out, and grab the rear seat handle and GIVE IT! The first time you pull that off is kinda hard cause it sort of sticks to the fiberglass........

Now you can see ALOT more of the compartment and reach your hands and flashlight around.

Follow all water lines that come from the back to various parts of the engine check connections.

Check the bailer lines. There are two black puck looking things on each side of the bottom of the hull with clear lines coming from them. Trace them from the bailer pickups all the way to the pump. I would get about a dozen gear clamps and cut the zip ties off and replace. There have been reports of those zip ties eventually breaking. After that happens the bailers work in reverse. REPLACE THEM all, and wrap tape around the gear clamps to prevent rubbing on the hoses etc.

Also, look for water intrusion around the area of the OPAS (If you have them), or OPAS blockoffs if you have them.

If you rule everything else out, it will be your carbon seal.

Check everything and get back to us and I can help guide you to take that carbon ring out, as I am in the process of doing it as we speak.

Very good guys, cold and raining here so it will be a couple days before I can venture out and take it apart.
    Again thanks.

Also Jeff if you wouldn't mind I would love any carbon ring info you can share for the future.
    How did you determine your CR needed replacement?

Actually I am not 100% sure that it does.......

I was taking on water and ruled everything else out so I am replacing my carbon ring since I have my SC out, and everything apart......

I was cavitating all year out of the hole, and a bad carbon ring is one of the causes, and plus I have 165 hours on the ski, so I am going to just replace it as preventative maintenance. It would have needed it pretty soon anyways.

Ok so now I am curious and admit I don't know what I am talking about but non the less have questions.
    The carbon ring is inside the the boat and well away from the pump area, so how does a worn ring cause cavitation?
    I have read this elsewhere and just need to know how this condition effects the pump

The carbon ring is the only thing that seals the driveshaft/hull from taking on water.

You can see the carbon ring by pulling back on the accordian boot where the driveshaft exits the hull from the inside.

You will see a stainless flange where the carbon ring pushes up against. That is the only thing that keeps water out!

I got an uneasy feeling when I first saw this.

You can see it real easy from above

There is a vacuum created when you start out WFO inside the intake grate. The pump is trying to pull water from where ever it can get it. If you have a bad carbon ring, air will pull through that area fro inside and cause cavitation.

Bad wear ring, bad impeller, etc can also cause this though

Boy that all makes sense but you wouldn't think it would happen on a machine with very low hours.

Would you if at all possible take some pics as you go.

Also where do you get your parts from and are you using a manual or wingin it.

Did you buy a manual if you are using one

Starting the Rxp out of the water and letting it idle is hard on them. The Carbon Ring will leave a streak on your exhaust pipe. It's very hard to tell a worn carbon ring to a new one if it wore evenly. Also make sure you dont have lubricate on the flat surface of the ring causing it not to seal properly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information