Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

lowering top speed on xlt1200

Is there a way to limit rpms or top speed on a 2001 xlt1200 to let the kids use it? Is there an aftermarket rev limiter that would work?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raylesk View Post
    Is there a way to limit rpms or top speed on a 2001 xlt1200 to let the kids use it? Is there an aftermarket rev limiter that would work?
    Rig a throttle lever. You can pull the throttle only so far. Just make sure they can't remove it!

I'm going to figure out something because I fell in love with the ski so I'm going back to buy it tomorrow morning before it's gone!

60% of the time, it works every time.
    could always try a mechanical stop or limiter as Lee stated. Could make a simple bracket or something to simply limit cable travel or throttle linkage movement. Nice ski by the way, I love mine when its not broken.

+1
    How old are the kids in question? I know people rent skis out all the time, but these things aren't toys. Even at 1/2 throttle, it will go around 45mph, fast enough to kill anyone it hits. If the kids aren't old enough to get a boating license and to spend some time learning now to control the ski, they have no business on it at all. An inexperienced rider WILL hit something with your ski; probably when they are trying to avoid another boat or a dock, instinctively cutting power and turning. Then crash boom bang.

The girls are 10, 14 and 17 and all have completed boating safety course. Obviously only one is old enough to drive the ski in NJ but I made them all take the course for safety's sake--and yes they all passed! They are very responsible kids but I feel safer when they tube etc with a 40mph ski (like the 95 GTX we have) than a ski that can do 55 or 60mph. But I need something for "me" to have fun with this season and my polaris msx150 won't be ready for at least a couple of months.

60% of the time, it works every time.
    Just make them sit on the dock and watch dad on his new ski untill your other one is finished. It'll make them appreciate it more, help them grow as perople. :P

What bad luck im having finding a ski--I've got $3800 burning a hole in my pocket and no luck in a week and a half finding a decent ski! Today I went to buy the xlt1200 and when the guy hooked up the battery so I could test ride it-- it started cranking over on its own and wouldn't stop til he disconnected the battery. Then he tells me he has been running premix so I ask did you install a blockoff plate? His answer was "no I just disconnected the oil line to the pump"

solved my problem

Just came home with a 2005 vx110 deluxe with the ability to lower top speed with the touch of a button! It has 200 hours but was very well cared for!

+1
    Good one for letting the kids loose on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information