Exclamation '94 Waveraider overheating

Recently I am having problems with my wave raider overheating. I have Riva heads and exhaust. The past two times I have been out it has over heated and gone into limp mode. Water flowed through all the cooling and water was coming out of the pisser on the side. I used gasket maker where the manifold meets the pipe and I read that this may have something to do with it but I doubt it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know I need to figure this out. The first time I had it out this summer it didn't happen. The second time it over heated after about 45 minutes and today it overheated after about 20 minutes. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Bettendorf, Iowa
    My 94' did the same this season. I have milled head and Coffman pipe - similar in contruction to Riva.
    When mine went limp, it was done. Lost rear cyl. No comp.

I'm not sure what caused it and the shop I take it to hasn't tore into it yet. My pisser was working too but the water was really hot. The pipe was so hot I could feel it through my gloves. I'm thinking 1 of my 2 cooling lines got plugged by crap in the river and 1 wasn't enough.

Ya when mine goes limp it does the same thing. Anything over 2500 rpm the rear cylinder doesn't fire. Let me know if you find anything else out. I'm bringing it down to shore this weekend and I'm gonna try it again and see what happens.

have you checked your jetting? air and water temp along with humidity can require more or less jetting. Are you running high enough octane for the compression you have. If you were on the ragged edge with your octane rating. If the water or ambient temp outside has increased you may be getting detonation and adding more heat.
    some two strokes can be very finiky with the weather. Beginning of season we start out in the 80`s, right now we are in the 100 to 110`s with more humidity. I usually have to readjust my high and lows half way through the summer. If not it becomes hard to start and does not pull well and it`s stock. Throw some mods on it and it would probably be more tempermental.
    Last edited by desertdeweller; 07-30-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added more

Thread Information