Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bilge Pump Options

Hello All
    I was looking at installing a Rule Bilge pump in the gp1200r. I am stuck on picking an automatic or non. I know they both have their advantages and disadvantages. I am looking at doing some ruff water stuff. I wanted to ask for some opinions?

Thanks Guys

+1
    I have always run the automatic, less wear on the battery in the long run.

+1
    I used to run an automatic with an inline switch, so it won't cycle while I'm out of the water. That way, it's aways checking for water.

When I first installed one, I put the ski in the water the next day and noticed how good it was working. "Look at that, it's working great, spitting water out like a hose.... wait a min, WHY is it spitting water out???" Turns out I had a lose exhaust clamp. Been a believer in the auto pump ever since.

Manual 500gpm Rule hooked to the Brown wire up at the lanyard switch. Only runs when the lanyard is hooked up. Auto is nice...I was just too cheap to spend the extra money. Also didn't want to have possible reliability issues with the "auto" circuitry.

Thanks for your input and experiences guys. Ummmmmm So far I am leaning more towards the automatic. I am thinking of connecting it to a switch on the bar. So I am guessing that when I turn the switch on it auto cycles every 20 sec looking for water and if it finds water it will stay on until it has completed dumping it. And if it does not find any water it will turn off and cycle again in 20 sec looking for water. Am I correct with that?

+1

auto bilge

I have rule 500 auto bilge built with the wire spliced and a 2.5 fuse in between that I haven't installed in the ski.I was'nt sure how my ski would handle the rough chop and having open cowlings and no airbox. But the stock auto electric bilge and siphon bilge are doing there job.The auto bilge is hooked up directly to the battery where the inline fuse is controlled simply by disconnecting the fuse when ski is back on the trailer,reconnected when going out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
    Thanks for your input and experiences guys. Ummmmmm So far I am leaning more towards the automatic. I am thinking of connecting it to a switch on the bar. So I am guessing that when I turn the switch on it auto cycles every 20 sec looking for water and if it finds water it will stay on until it has completed dumping it. And if it does not find any water it will turn off and cycle again in 20 sec looking for water. Am I correct with that?
    Correct. I had thought about wiring mine up with the lanyard, but decided that if I got thrown from the ski when I hit something, I'd rather not watch it sink as I swam back to it. I just mounted the switch in the glove box and made sure to turn it on before I hit the water. Sometimes I'd forget to turn it off when I pulled the ski out of the water, but I'd hear it running later when I was washing off the ski or something. Never left it on for a long time accidentaly.

+1
    Well if you think you need one, WestMarine.com has the pump (1100 gph) and auto float switches on sale right now. $32.99 and $24.99 respectively (until Aug 8th).

not to hijack, but, where are you guys mounting your outlet?
    I really don`t care for it in back under the rear of the ski, any suggestions or pictures where people installed the thru hull fitting?

+1
    Needs to be up high, under the grab bar somewhere. Ain't meant to be pretty, it's meant to keep you from sinking. Get a cool aluminum one from Riva.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information