Smile Solenoid just clicks

When I hit the bottom the solenoid just clicks and hums. How can I check this? which wires do I cross to see if motor will turn over?

You jump the two terminals on the selonoid itself use somthing beefy like a scredriver or wrench! Z

You mean the heavy battery cable going in and the same heavy red going out to starter?

Yes you are trying to bypass your solenoid # 38 to see if your starter is OK? you also need to check ground wire and battery condition! Z

Got it, I had to dismantle to get at the starter because I thought it was locked up. I left the hot connected to the stater but had to turn the cable up a little to get at the bottom nut. With bolts loose it turned over, so I tightened everything and tried it again but starter wouldn't turn over. So I pushed the cable back up a 1/4 turn and sure enough it cranked fine. Must be something inside the starter with the hot stud. It seems tight enough like this so I'll leave it. Thanks again, Jerry

+1
    You might want to also check all of the grounds and mounting hardware from the starter to the engine cases.

Speaking of starters. I have my sl650 taken apart for rebuild. I hooked up jumper cables from the battery to the positive terminal on the starter and the negative wire on the case by where the bolt goes through. If the starter is good this would cause it to turn over correct? I know it probably sounds like a joke but I just want to make sure before I dump a hundred or two into a starter or put it all back together and realize "oh crap", starter's dead.
    Last edited by ph2ocraft; 10-24-2006 at 02:00 PM.

+1
    Big D, I'd use a seperate known good power supply and put the negative cable to the starter casing, place my foot on the starter and then touch the starter bolt (hanging off the side of the starter motor).

Thread Information