1997 XP - What's a good price?

I'm looking at buying a 97 XP 800 with roughly 65 hours (the seller tells me). I have yet to see the ski in person, but from pictures it appears to be in good shape. He bought it from a dealer a couple of years ago, so I imagine they had everything checked over. It comes on a nice 2006 single place trailer.

He's asking $2200, but has already told me he'll let it go for $2000. I really don't want to spend much more than $1500 on it. Is it worth $2k?

Here's the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you need to do a compression test on it. it should have 150 +/- 5 psi in each cylinder. verify the hours at the dealer. have them read the MPEM to do so. take it for a ride also. make sure that it floats and has no leaks in the pipe and carbon seal around the drive shaft. verify the trim(VTS) works and the fuel gauge. verify that there are no leaks around the block and no oily or dirty hull. check the head bolts to see if paint is missing. if paint is missing it has either been rebuilt or some other problem. if the paints there its all original. as always make sure its worth it to you. if you have a slightly uneasy feeling about dropping the coin...walk away. there will be others. also you can always NADA or KBB the ski to see what the actual going rate for that ski is

Forgot to check KBB...which values it at $1995. NADA says $1925 average value.

I know the gauges do not work. The current owner said that he's been working on figuring out what the problem is. I planned on doing a compression test and taking it for a ride before I buy.

I've already gotten him down to $1800, and I might try to get him down a little farther. The trailer is newer and is probably worth $500 alone.

+1
    doin good then..there is a thread at the top of the 2 stroke section on how to fix the fuel baffle. dont worry about the dreamometer(spedo) its not even close anyway. if the trim gauge doesnt work and the trim does its either the gauge or the housing (which is kinda expensive) if it doesnt work its the motor itself. the other functions of the multi gauge never usually fail ie the oil, temp, batt and fuel lights...hope this helps

+1
    the 97xp doesn't have a multi guage just the regular ones.

Be sure it also comes with the engine cover/tray and the rubber seal is ok to prevent water inside the engine area

TLR

Well I'm going to look it over tomorrow. If everything looks good I'll be buying it.

Now I need a 2 place trailer...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport346 View Post
    Well I'm going to look it over tomorrow. If everything looks good I'll be buying it.

Now I need a 2 place trailer...
    at 18 you're not getting raped but you're not stealing it, if the hours are that low you'll get some good use out of it.
    grey fuel lines in this model ?
    battery status ?
    those two things can each be $100 markdowns maybe, or $140 in budget that you'll have to spend.
    if the trailer is in good shape use it until you find a good double then sell those.

He said he installed a new battery last year after he bought it. What's the deal with the fuel lines?

The trailer is a 2006 and looks to be in great shape. From what everybody has told me, skis tend to cost more in the midwest. I think I'd be pretty hard pressed to find a nicer ski for $1800.

How fun are these skis? I want something that is more maneuverable while still being somewhat powerful.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSport346 View Post
    He said he installed a new battery last year after he bought it. What's the deal with the fuel lines?

The trailer is a 2006 and looks to be in great shape. From what everybody has told me, skis tend to cost more in the midwest. I think I'd be pretty hard pressed to find a nicer ski for $1800.

How fun are these skis? I want something that is more maneuverable while still being somewhat powerful.
    This is the first year of the body style. the 98's came with a 951. These skis are carvers for sure and can be fast in the 62-65mph range with the 951 in it. this is not a 2up ski. you can but it takes some practice.

as for the battery its probably junk if he did not keep it on a trickle charger all winter.

as for the fuel lines and carbs (read the DIY fuel system cleaning thread at the top of the two stroke page) if the motor has the greay tempo fuel lines they tend to degrade, first of because the ski is 13years old and secondly the lines are crap. they disinigrate and gum up the screens in the carbs and you can smoke your top end really quick.(not cheap) when you ride it, if it boggs at WOT you are experiencing a lean seizure. then i would knock off $300+ on the selling price

Thread Information