Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

flyweek no coming off.

Hi, one question guys. I am in the process of remove the flywheel of my SL 780. I got the harmonic thing for flywheel remover. I set up every bolts, double check it and then start turning. It come to a point the the center bolt is getting tide and then i can hardly turn it anymore. But the flywheel did not move even a bit. I follow all the instructions on the repair manual. The flywheel looks clean and nive, there is no rust. so why it is not comming out?

There was a point I don't dare to turn it anymore as I am afraid I may break something.....

+1
    When you get a fair amount or torque on the center bolt on the shaft, give it a wrap with a hammer (slightly) That sometimes pops it off. If not, tighten it a little more and tap on it again. I just took mine off and it was really tight.

If you are replacing the stator and are not concerned about damaging it....put some heat on the flywheel and it should pop.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiweeds View Post
    If you are replacing the stator and are not concerned about damaging it....put some heat on the flywheel and it should pop.
    no, i am replace a rod..... the stator is working fine...... I already try the hammer , still not move even a bit.

+1
    My flywheel was crazy stuck on my 750. I had a bad stator (melted ground wire) so I put serious torque on it with the harmonic puller and even used a small propane torch on the center part of the flywheel around the crank. Even blows with a hammer did little. I too was getting pretty nervous about breaking the puller or something... but I didn't have a choice. So I leaned on it some more with my big breaker bar half expecting to strip out the puller or something and POP! off it came. Scared me good and thankfully I had a finger on it and it didn't impact the ground. Just my foot! Dang is it heavy.

Don't give up. It went together, it'll come apart.

+1
    I will give it a try again...... maybe take it to a repair store...... I don't think they charge alot for removing a flywheel right?

+1
    Repair store will beat the piss out of it. If you have the puller super tight and wrapping on it didn't help, with the torque on it, you could try slowly heating the area on the flywheel around the shaft to help expand the metal on the flywheel. Just be careful with gas vapors, spilled oil, etc. Once you heat it up a little, try giving the pulller a bit of a turn and wrap on the end with a hammer.. They are tight.

They are generally on there quite well from the factory. I tighten the puller as tight as I feel it can handle before it snaps, then bash on the center bolt with a hammer unit it 'pops' off...

You could try heating the flywheel right next to the crank as well.

As a last resort, use a high torque impact wrench(600+ lb-ft)...it will pop it right off...Had one a month ago that no matter what, it wasn't coming loose...heat, hammer...we were breaking bolts and damaging the puller...2 seconds with an IR Ti2135 and bam.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    As a last resort, use a high torque impact wrench(600+ lb-ft)...it will pop it right off...Had one a month ago that no matter what, it wasn't coming loose...heat, hammer...we were breaking bolts and damaging the puller...2 seconds with an IR Ti2135 and bam.
    I was about to post that I damage the puller, the bolt just couldn't stand the amount of force I put on it. 600 lb-ft? where can i get that?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information