+1

Cam bolts / Red loctite / setup time?

If I get time, I might play with cam timing this weekend just to satisfy my curiosity. Some people have recommended Red Loctite on the cam bolts, others Blue, others just use what comes on the bolts ... I want to try a few positions before I lock them down with Red, but wondered what other people do when changing cam timing 'in the field' and is Red Loctite too much when testing? Also wondering about setup time with Blue and Red ... from memory it seems like both setup pretty well in an hour, but directions say 24 hours for full setup. Anybody?

+1
    I change the stock bolts to grade 8 and use Red loctite every time.With red loctite I take the bolts in and out without any problems.

+1
    Vern I found that when you use the red loctite and change the settings a few times the loctite starts to build up in the threads. At one point I had to clean the threads out with a tap.

+1
    Any color of locktite will build up on threads. Use red!! U wont be sorry

+1
    True, but the red is a little more of a challenge to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLD06RXP View Post
    Any color of locktite will build up on threads. Use red!! U wont be sorry

Vern, I wouldn't take the risk. If those holes aren't cleaned and dryed the loctite may not stick. Don't forget to read up on the curing time needed for whichever you use, loctite has data sheets on there web site listing curing times, the quick primer cure loctite has speeds up cure time and strengthens the threadlock. If you take shortcuts like I did, you risk the possibilty of those bolts quickly backing out and then sheering off. I had it happen to me while playing with cam timing myself. It only took a few seconds at wot. I loctited and torqued with red but didn't clean the oil out of the bolt holes. I was back in the water within 20 minutes. I ran my the ski, maybe 5 minutes and at wot less 10 seconds when the cam bolts backout and sheered off. It would have taken me 5 minutes to clean the bolt holes, prime and loctite. I'm embarrased to even mention my stupid mistake. Lesson learned. Like Luis, I have upgraded to a higher tensile strenght bolts. The stronger bolts allow the torque to be increased to around 100 in pounds too. Not needed, but why not. Every single time, I clean the holes with brake cleaner, dry, spray loctite quick cure primer, dry and loctite 243. It helps to have a loctite rep with a garage full of loctite products living in my neighborhood. He talked me out of using the red for this type of application, overkill. Done correctly, blue is more than enough. He even gave me the quick cure primer and 243 for free.

My 2 cents.
    DDuck

Thread Information