Riva vs R&D Rideplate Stock and modded question. for GP1300R

Ok i searched first off! If I missed a thread which I don't think that I did please direct me there and forgive me! However I don't thank that i have. Anyways on to the topic.

My current GPR has an un-modified Black Riva ride plate, someone mentioned in another thread that this plate can actually slow me down!. I tried searching on this but have not found any supporting information. I do see the cost difference in having Jim modify a R&D vs the Riva Plate being about $100 different. I wanted to know stock for stock is there any advantage of the Riva vs the R&D and also Modified vs Modified is there an advantage of one over the other? Thank you all for your time! I am simply trying to find my speed and get it tuned correctly and then move onto a couple more mods. I am trying to plan my path to reach my ski goals!

+1
    It would be best if you were to contact Jim at Jim's performance about the minor differences between the plates. He can explain in detail why 1 is faster than the other.

One important thing to consider: In the quest for ever higher speeds, when you can get a 1 mph increase/100 dollar investment, then it is a good buy. In whatever set up direction you choose to take your GPR, be it rough water, grudge racing, cruising, etc., to get your best speeds you will have to have a well tuned plate.

Investing in one of Jim's modified plates is a no brainer.

+1
    keep in mind also how the plate is angled in line with the hull and to keep in mind the front of the plate should never be below the pump shoe or hull.The tail part of the plate should as high up as you can,this being achieved by grinding away the pump to a degree and the underside of the rideplate.Very thin ss washers are used to achieve this angle. BUT research this thoroughly on GH lots of info.....I myself was able to make mph gains by learning about the "correct angle"

+1
    my choice go with a riva plate modified or unmodified they are both good for speed. There much better to tune, i am saying this cause i buy a r&d plate and i loss like 4 mph, I was doing 73.5 mph with a riva and when i put the r&d plate went to 68 mph and i went crazy tuning the plate. Also i have another friend the buy a jim plate and he was doing 75 mph and went down to 70. I rather stay with the riva plate and it less money than the other one.

+1
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but R&D makes the Riva plate, don't they? Same plate with minor differences. I can't believe you would lose 5mph by installing Jim's plate; sounds like setup issues. You don't just slap on the Jims plate and go faster; it changes the angle the ski rides. You have to spend time getting it shimmed right, working with the rest of the ski to make sure all the components are working together in optimal fashion.

Reminds me of the guy who I raced on the Crayola once. He had a 1390 big bore GPR with tripples, and simply could not understand how a single pipe ski had 5mph on him. After a few mins of talking with him, I realized that he didn't know jack squat about skis; he just bought the fastest ski he could find, had all this installed, and hit the water. Topped out at about 76mph, thought that was the limit. He didn't believe me when I told him there were people with almost 20mph on him.

+1
    smitty you have a jim plate how much mph did it give you and if it bounce to much.

+1
    I had jims on an XL1200 Limited. Gave me about 2.5 mph over a protec grate, rock solid, no bounce. I don't have one on the Crayola because the one on it was cut by Kerry Hibdon, the guy who built the ski. Don't think I haven't thought about trying Jim's plate on it. I've got a plate sitting at Jim's shop right now for my new GPR project. If you put Jim's plate on and have issues, give him a call. He's a stand-up guy, very knowlegeable, and I can't recommend him highly enough.

Well. here is where I'm at now.... I now have even more questions than when I started this thread! I did send Jim a PM asking about this and i got a sort of generic response back which i completely understand as it is the height of the season and I am sure he has lots of work! I got a basic response that he can mod both plates to be fast and the R&D would have a handling advantage. While I would think this topic may of been explored already i guess it may not have yet. Either way I am going to be sending my head and whatever plate i end up rolling with out to jim after the summer for some magic to happen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by richdash View Post
    Either way I am going to be sending my head and whatever plate i end up rolling with out to jim after the summer for some magic to happen.
    Smart move..... just remember, you will have to spend some time setting everything up after that.

Yeah no doubt no problem spending time time on the ski tuning it! I think i got really lucky to get the speeds i got out of my XLT with the setup it has. It had been apart a year and all i did was research a bit and set it up how most had done and have not even tried shiming the plate at all still almost 60mph at 290+ lbs... I hope to get the gpr set up as well if not better as soon as i get some time to test it out!

Thread Information