+1

Final Stage of Build - Need Help

I'm done modding for this year but am in the planning stages for next year. I need to figure out what to do next. I'm planning on upgrading the internals but don't know exactly which way to go and what all is needed. I want new pistons, rods, cams, valve train, and either bigger H1 wheel and housing or go totally opposite way with a turbo. I'm looking for suggestions on what products are best and what all I need to purchase. I'm looking for HUGE boost numbers and 9000+ rpms. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I can buy 110 octane fuel about 15 minutes from my house so I won't have to worry about that. I will be going the route that Desperado went with having an auxiliary fuel tank for the 110 which will only kick in at WOT.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is still many months away but you can never start planning too early. I'm trying to figure out how much money I will need for all the parts. Like I said in my build thread, I went way over budget this year but I am very pleased with how things turned out so far. I need to replenish some of my accounts before the final stage begins. I will just enjoy the power and 8500 rpms that I am turning for the rest of the season. So whatever you guys have for me, let me know. Thanks in advance. Just so you know, I am not a racer. I am just 100% obsessed with my ski. I think I have a problem lol!

No matter what make sure the valve train upgrades are REALLY worked out!

I am backing my build down until they do. $9,000 for a block and rebuild with Carrillo rods, Riva Pistons, prepped head, etc... isn't something to take chances on.

Granted I had to pay for a new block and head...

+1
    Going turbo will allow a lot of boost at request and it's fun to deal with stagging setups and all that. But heat will be big worry.
    Going with supercharger will give you no heat. Clutch systems and 20-25 psi wheels will be sorted by the time winter is over for you guys next year.

Me, I'm a going s/c'er. That'll be enough speed for me. Just paranoid about a firery watery grave. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Going turbo will allow a lot of boost at request and it's fun to deal with stagging setups and all that. But heat will be big worry.
    Going with supercharger will give you no heat. Clutch systems and 20-25 psi wheels will be sorted by the time winter is over for you guys next year.

Me, I'm a going s/c'er. That'll be enough speed for me. Just paranoid about a firery watery grave. lol.
    Just make sure you can swim LOL

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    I will be going the route that Desperado went with having an auxiliary fuel tank for the 110 which will only kick in at WOT.
    I didn't even know he did that. It sounds KICK ASS.

I kind of have to agree with Gunna. If you go turbo, you will have your work cut out for you and will be fighting heat.

I really do think that you will see the supercharger clutch issues resolved fairly shortly, and soon to follow that you will see a whole new wave of higher boost wheels hit the market. Possibly even aftermarket chargers. Those will provide you with more boost than you can almost handle.

I would start gearing up for BIG supercharger supplied power. Build your block for high boost and be ready to go when all this stuff comes out.

Also keep in mind, the more aggressive you get with your build and setup, the more time you will spend wrenching instead of riding. Just make sure you don't go too far and take all the fun out of it. I'm sure you already knew that. Maybe just a pointer for others reading this thread who might be "on the fence" about how far to take their builds.

+1
    I think that if a reliable clutch resolution comes out, I will most likely go that route. I probably do spend more time tinkering with everything than I do riding but I thoroughly enjoy the tinkering aspect. Theres many times where I go to the water for 15 minutes just trying stuff out and then leave. I'm an accountant which is boring as hell but this always gives me something to look forward to. I don't know what I'll do when my build is done next year. I guess I will probably just ride it after that. My goal started at 80 mph but my final goal for this ski is 90 mph with ridiculous, arm-wrenching acceleration.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    I think that if a reliable clutch resolution comes out, I will most likely go that route. I probably do spend more time tinkering with everything than I do riding but I thoroughly enjoy the tinkering aspect. Theres many times where I go to the water for 15 minutes just trying stuff out and then leave. I'm an accountant which is boring as hell but this always gives me something to look forward to. I don't know what I'll do when my build is done next year. I guess I will probably just ride it after that. My goal started at 80 mph but my final goal for this ski is 90 mph with ridiculous, arm-wrenching acceleration.
    The curve on the graph from 80 to 90 is kinda steep and very non-linear.

It'll take a pretty wild motor to do this which seems possible with the mods arriving weekly onto the market.

The delivery of this power in the pump setup will have to continue to develop as well, ei magnum, seadoo adapted, RR pumps.

Then the question needs to be asked "Is there speed/accl available from the hull design itself?"

Two people that are very close to 90 that I know of are Tony in Sydney @87? and Gary in Lismore @89.6. Both run mild motors with all the standard motec, injectors, rideplate and pump/prop mods. I'm sure there are many around the world who are there or pass 90mph, with the range of "bolt-on" parts available on the market.

It's do-able and I hope to be following their leads next year as well.

Now all I have to do is rob a bank.

+1
    I heard people mention talking about getting the hull trued. What kind of gains could you gain with this? Where can I have it done? Whats the cost? and is it worth it?

+1
    I saw an FZS at Mudbug that had some product installed on the hull. I think it was called Sharkskin? It felt kind of like sand paper.

His ski was very fast for the couple engine mods it had. Seems like he had more hull mods/prep than actual power-making mods.

Thread Information