Thread: fuel sensor zxi

fuel sensor zxi

I'm trying to pull the fuel sensor out of a '97 1100 zxi. There is not enough head room to pull it up and out of the gas tank. Does anyone know a trick, or something simple that I'm not doing. Removing the gas tank looks like a bigger problem than not having a gas guage.
    I know nothing about ski's, so any reply is appreciated.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    I've pulled the fuel pickup/ sender out of my ZXi a few times, you'll need a short phillips head for 4 screws on the top, you may need to switch on/ off/ reserve to get to one or another, and once you get the 4 screws out pull the unit up and angle it rearwards being careful not to drop the rubber o-ring that's between the pickup and the tank, into the tank and not to snap the fuel pickup lines as they are likely to be very brittle. Take your time, you'll get it out no problem

I guess I said it wrong..

Maybe it's called something else.. Its the rod with the floats that read how much fuel you have (for the fuel guage). It has the black rubber cap (next to the pick up/sender). I have loosened the clamp and pulled the cap/rod out of the tank, but it hits the top of the jet ski (in evey direction) before the last 2-3 inches can come up and out of the tank.

I'm currently doing the same thing with my 2000 STX900....and finding the same thing...so whoever answers this post...get's BONUS "Karma Points!!"...I really don't want to have to take out the entire (Now full) gas tank...at this point, I'm wondering "What were the designers thinking!!?"

+1
    Never had to do a zxibut I rent stx kawis and do them all the time there is a stainless bar that goes from the rt side to 2:40:04 PM side that holds the black glove box container in. Take the 2 screws on either side out and then the to at the back of the box out. Actually its at the frt seat latch. It takes a little muscle and cussing but you can move the glove box off to the side and get the sending unit out of the stx through the opening where the glovebox container was. Have to do two this week and never look foreward to it
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanedge View Post
    I'm currently doing the same thing with my 2000 STX900....and finding the same thing...so whoever answers this post...get's BONUS "Karma Points!!"...I really don't want to have to take out the entire (Now full) gas tank...at this point, I'm wondering "What were the designers thinking!!?"

Quote Originally Posted by porschemaniac View Post
    Never had to do a zxibut I rent stx kawis and do them all the time there is a stainless bar that goes from the rt side to 2:40:04 PM side that holds the black glove box container in. Take the 2 screws on either side out and then the to at the back of the box out. Actually its at the frt seat latch. It takes a little muscle and cussing but you can move the glove box off to the side and get the sending unit out of the stx through the opening where the glovebox container was. Have to do two this week and never look foreward to it
    WOW!! THis is great news! I thought it was odd that the "Storage Box / Dashbox" couldn't be removed! Thank you so much for the insight! Kudos and Karma points your way!

[I'll try jacking with it some more, but I don't think it works that way on the '97 zxi.

Thread Information