Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

grease gun and grease tube chat

ok off the wall thread here , you been warned

any ways i have the most trouble with grease guns ,

i use a harbor freight 15 $ special at the moment

but i have seen problems with 115 $ pneumatics
    ( funny story while doing landscape work and using the rain days to do maintenance we had a issue with the grease gun and my boss bought a brand new one from napa only 3 mins later same issue needless to say he had me go get the old one back out of the scrap metal pile )

i have used 2 $ tubes all the way up to lucas oil 6 $ tubes , i currently wasted it since i just had so much trouble i loaded the gun by hand with about 1 inch of grease plastering it in smooth and then taken something flat made it level with something flat

i wish the tubes were made out of aluminum

what grease gun and grease tubes do you guys use that do not give you much problems or tips do you guys have

Funny to read this. Just finished banging my head against 3 different grease guns at my shop last night. All different types and price ranges and they all seem to suck. One looks like an employee might have used it as a make shift hammer.????

Our trouble seems to be with bleeding the unit after dropping in a new grease tube, some bleed out right away, others get tossed across the 3 acres out the back door.

I use a small generic grease gun because it is easier to get down to the through-hull bearing with it. I use Coastal Brand Marine Grade grease in the three tube pack. Loading the damn thing is always a pain in the ass. As synner stated it seems to take forever to bleed the thing and I forget to take the plastic cap and put it up the back end at least every other time I refill it. I just screwed it up again the day before yesterday when I put in the new pump and drive shaft.

New grease guns are a PITA to get completely bled. I still use one that is older than me, since it's a quality one. Everything is throw away junk these days. I think the last one I bought was a "lubrimatic"...it was OK.

thanks for opening up and letting me know you guys are in the same box . i just want a all purpose waterproof grease to come out when i work the handle is that to much to ask god

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    for me grease guns are just throw aways, just like the tubes of grease. The small ones are a real rip off price wise ( I have one just for PTo and driveline beraings) , but can be handy in tight spots ( atv driveshafts). I've got some priming tricks, like holding the gun upside down and wacking it with a rubber mallet..but in honesty, I just toss them when they misbehave. I don't have the time or shop rags and hand cleaner to be mucking around with a grease gun for more then a minute if it's not doing it's job

+1
    Just did some head banging myself the other night

I have 2 of the small guns, one with a flexible hose and the other has a rigid extension. Anyway, I was trying to use them and couldn't get anything out with a brand new tube. I fussed and fought with those things and was just about ready to toss them both in the trash. Then it dawned on my that the spring loaded plunger wasn't moving. After inspecting and measuring I realized the plastic backing on the plunger was too large and it wasn't allowing the rubber portion to slide up into the grease tube and push the grease up. About 20 minutes of work to remove the plastic backing plate and reassemble had the gun working like a charm.

My guess is the gun was made for a specific brand of grease tube and since I was using a different brand the plunger was too big. Oh well, problem solved now

KJ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I suspect grease guns are one of those tools that most of us are unhappy with.

I would be happy to pay more money for a grease gun that worked really well.

This is probably the best solution if you have a compressor but they tend to shoot out too much grease. This one is about $75.00. I was thinking about purchasing one because I do have a decent portable compressor but.....................

grease guns

Nice to hear we all fight the same battles with one of the most basic tools in our tool box.

I have an old grease gun that was my fathers, likely 1970 vintage. It is well constructed and has a nice feature of a bleed screw on the top of the gun. It works every time and very easy to reload, I certainly value having it. I cannot find any brand name on it anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information