Talking Reed Stuffer Question

Yes this is my month for silly questions. What do the reed stuffers do? Do you still need them when going from stock reeds to carbon fiber?

When the air travels from the intake manifold to the reed cages there is a sudden increase in volume. The reed stuffers act as a transition piece. Without the stuffers the air would stall out and lose velocity. Stuffers help your bottom end and mid-range, but have little effect on top end. So KEEP THEM unless you go to a complete new cage assembly like a V-Force or something.

Aaron

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

stuffers

not only do they make a smoother transition from the intake outlet to the reed cages but they also fill in spaces in the intake tract to drop the volume of space in the intake tract.this allows a stronger signal to the carbs especially at idle,low,and mid rpm's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    not only do they make a smoother transition from the intake outlet to the reed cages but they also fill in spaces in the intake tract to drop the volume of space in the intake tract.this allows a stronger signal to the carbs especially at idle,low,and mid rpm's

Stuffing up the reed eliminates air turbulence, creating maximum airflow, improved velocity to the intake ports, and allows the engine to pull more fuel through bottom and mid range rpm (carb signal); thus producing crisp throttle response and increased bottom and mid power.

I kind of had a thought there was a good need for them. Thanks for all the information. I may look into a different reed cage. What kind of difference would that make?

Do you think the V-Force 3 Reeds and new Block would make a worth while difference? I can tell you that putting these reeds on the stock block make a pretty good difference in response and horsepower. My ski is evern hitting 7000 RPM's on smooth water.

+1
    I think once you start getting into the pricier reed/cage assemblies it's more of a dyno improvement from one to the other. I don't think you can really feel it "seat of the pants". Now if you have lots of mods and are trying to improve a little bit everywhere it's well worth the effort and money BUT I still don't think you can feel it by the seat of your pants like you would say modifying the domes and raising compression (just an example, not good for an injected engine).

Thanks craft, I am learning that these FFI crafts are hard to modify well. Mainly because you can't adjust fuel/air to a number of modifications. Oh well, I guess I will have to start messing with my sl650. I have a 780 motor, maybe I will see if it will fit in that craft.

Thanks again mate.

Thread Information