+1

Erratic Spark with FFI

I was working on an MSX 140 and it wouldnt start. Its seems like the spark is jumping all over the place. It would back fire and then stop cranking for a second as if the timing is too advanced and then it would run for a second and turn off. I had a genesis EMM so i plugged it in and the MSX fired right up and ran fine.

I also had the same problem with a 2 cylinder Virage I. I swapped the EMM and it ran fine.

Now Im working on a Genesis that didnt have spark or injector voltage so I put my spare Genesis EMM in it and now it is doing the same thing as the MSX and the Virage. Does this mean that I fried the EMM somehow? is there anyway to reprogram it or do all of these computers need to be sent out for repair now? The reason I ask is that the EMM I was using to test belonged to another ski and I still have to fix the MSX and VirageI

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    I was working on an MSX 140 and it wouldn't start. Its seems like the spark is jumping all over the place. It would back fire and then stop cranking for a second as if the timing is too advanced and then it would run for a second and turn off. I had a genesis EMM so i plugged it in and the MSX fired right up and ran fine.

I also had the same problem with a 2 cylinder Virage I. I swapped the EMM and it ran fine.

Now I'm working on a Genesis that didn't have spark or injector voltage so I put my spare Genesis EMM in it and now it is doing the same thing as the MSX and the Virage.

Does this mean that I fried the EMM somehow? is there anyway to reprogram it or do all of these computers need to be sent out for repair now? The reason I ask is that the EMM I was using to test belonged to another ski and I still have to fix the MSX and VirageI
    The two cylinder and three cylinder Ficht EMM are not really interchangeable. I don't know if that caused your problem, but I avoid doing it.

Erratic spark and backfiring are symptoms of a bad EMM. Check the basics around the EMM, such as the CPS and TPS. The CPS is the same on all Polaris Ficht engines.

If it was me, I would send all three EMM to DFI Technologies. If the EMM is good, then there is little cost. If the EMM needs repair, then it needs repair.

+1
    I didnt state this but I didnt put the genesis EMM in the Virage. luckily the customer had a second Virage. I just cant believe they go bad so easily. This is all in the same week.
    I winterized the MSX then I spring service it and it and the computer is bad.

+1
    Just had 2 customers come in today. One with an 01 genesis that needed a wear ring. I pulled the pump and shaft out. tried to start it. No spark and no injector pulse. EMM is bad. and a second guy with an 03 MSX140 that said his wouldnt start so he swapped EMM's with his other MSX140 and it started.
    Seems like a bad week to be a Polaris owner

Thread Information