Unhappy '07 250x Ridden Through Hydrilla (Seaweed) - The Aftermath - Please Give Your Thought

Hi Guys...

First, why do we let friends ride our skis?? We were out all day on the Potomac River and we have a lot of hydrilla around this time of year so you have to watch where you are going. The last friend to ride the ski took it right in to the hydrilla and you can guess the rest. We towed the ski at 3mph about 500 yards to the Jet Dock (I do not have an EASY ramp near me to pull the ski).

So...here is what I have. The ski starts and will run on the hose and idle but bogs and dies after a few throttle pulls. Upon further inspection, I noticed the connecting tube from the port waterbox to the starboard waterbox had ruptured. I found this because I was getting a lot of steam from the throttle pulls and that explains it. It also melted the air intake hoses where they touch the waterbox hose. I also had about 4 inches of water in the bilge which I was able to drain. The drained water was clear with no oil or gas reside and the dipstick is clear oil...no milkyness.

Could a simple replacement of the tube solve the problem??

Also, can I simply cut the air intake tubes off just under the back seat and be done with them??

Thanks, as always, for your advice and input....

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    how long did the run it trying to get out of the grass before it overheated? if you melted hoses that waterbox had to be hot

I would guess that you will need to pull the pump and check all water cooling lines and the intercooler, and that's just a start. If any of that got sucked up and is blocking cooling lines, you will be in trouble...

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by boxlaxman View Post
    Hi Guys...

First, why do we let friends ride our skis?? We were out all day on the Potomac River and we have a lot of hydrilla around this time of year so you have to watch where you are going. The last friend to ride the ski took it right in to the hydrilla and you can guess the rest. We towed the ski at 3mph about 500 yards to the Jet Dock (I do not have an EASY ramp near me to pull the ski).

So...here is what I have. The ski starts and will run on the hose and idle but bogs and dies after a few throttle pulls. Upon further inspection, I noticed the connecting tube from the port waterbox to the starboard waterbox had ruptured. I found this because I was getting a lot of steam from the throttle pulls and that explains it. It also melted the air intake hoses where they touch the waterbox hose. I also had about 4 inches of water in the bilge which I was able to drain. The drained water was clear with no oil or gas reside and the dipstick is clear oil...no milkyness.

Could a simple replacement of the tube solve the problem??

Also, can I simply cut the air intake tubes off just under the back seat and be done with them??

Thanks, as always, for your advice and input....
    Replace the sleeve, Yes this is why it was running like crap etc.........engines need fresh air not exhaust fumes
    Remove all the weed from pump/prop area.
    Run the ski on hose is water is flowing from your pissers and out the exhaust and out on the top of the pump I would say you are fine., pretty much EVEYBODY does it at 1 time in there life..

Normally if foreign material small enough to go up the water feed hose it will flow straight threw and out the exit lines

No engine damage would have accoured ... as u say nothing about over heat warning lights etc on the dash

Waz

P.s this is why I have a very strick policy about who rides my ski
    even then it comes with a iron claded contract stating the following
    YFYF..........No exceptions

works everytime

Sleeve replaced and ski running again...appears to be running normal but on first test run, rpms a little low (7500) and speed seems low (not gps). Can't get a good look at the pump since I keep it on a jet dock and getting it on the trailer is an all-day affair...

Any further thoughts??

+1
    Could it be weed wrapped around shaft and impeller? You need to thoroughly check that, whether it's convenient, or not.

Thread Information