Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FX HO or SHO? Huge difference in upkeep?

Ideally I am looking for two FX HO skis, one for me and one for a neighbor. I've been jet skiing for over 20 years but am newish to sitdown skis. I have a 2000 Ultra 150 for sale so I can get a 3 seater for my wife and 5yr old to ride. I will ride it as well. Anyway, I can't seem to find 2 FXHO skis but there is a two ski deal for sale, 07 FXHO and 08 SHO, both under 50 hours with double trailer asking 13500. My questions is how much of a difference in upkeep, fuel burn (not hard riders), engine life expectancy, etc is between the FX HO and an SHO. I don't want to be bothered with having a supercharger needing to be rebuilt every 100 hrs, etc. Do I bit the bullet and get this deal or buy two FX HO skis separately?

Thanks.

John

Comments?

+1
    No matter what you buy...they all need TLC, in their own way, some more than others. Rather than write a book on the differences, I would suggest searching the forum and this should answer a lot of your questions.

As a boat and jet ski owner for 25+ years I certainly know all about the upkeep required. I've searched and the most popular thing that comes up is how the supercharger needs to be rebuilt every 100 hrs on the SeaDoo skis. Is this required on the SHO as well? There is a good deal on an SHO that I am considering buying but if it is going to require significantly more maintenance than the FXHO I am buying as well I don't want the headache. If the SHO is simply a "better" version of the FXHO then I am buying it. If it requires supercharger rebuilds every 100hrs and has a shorter engine life span then I will continue to shop for two FXHO skis.

Thanks.

I have a Seadoo GTX limited 215 and a Yamaha FXHO. The supercharger being rebuilt every 100 hrs isn't that big of a deal. Pull it out and ship it to Jerry who moderates this site and he'll have it back in the mail to you the next day. He only charges like $75 if you buy the parts from his store. The FXHO has been pretty much maintenance free and gets awesome fuel economy. Last weekend we went to an island to hang out with friends and the HO was being ridden almost constantly while I had to park my GTX to be sure I had enough fuel to get back. While the HO is a great all round ski with decent performance, when I'm on it I cant wait to get back on my gtx. The performance is like crack, I can't get enough...

Quote Originally Posted by combatcraig View Post
    I have a Seadoo GTX limited 215 and a Yamaha FXHO. The supercharger being rebuilt every 100 hrs isn't that big of a deal. Pull it out and ship it to Jerry who moderates this site and he'll have it back in the mail to you the next day. He only charges like $75 if you buy the parts from his store. The FXHO has been pretty much maintenance free and gets awesome fuel economy. Last weekend we went to an island to hang out with friends and the HO was being ridden almost constantly while I had to park my GTX to be sure I had enough fuel to get back. While the HO is a great all round ski with decent performance, when I'm on it I cant wait to get back on my gtx. The performance is like crack, I can't get enough...
    Interesting but then I need to deal with the removal and install of the supercharger when I get it back!

Not much difference at all. Your biggest thing is going to be a solid and consistant flushing process that would be the same for any open loop ski.

Here is what I am dealing with and trying to make sense out of....

So many different options but I will try to make it simple and quick. Neighbor and I are buying 3 seater skis, he will buy one and I will buy one. I have been into and have had skis for 20+ years but this will be my first family type ski and this will be my neighbors first ski ever. Most likely we will be riding together the majority of the time.I have a tendency to constantly want to upgrade, more speed and tend to mod my skis. This ski will be for family cruising, pulling a tube mostly ridden by my wife and 6yr old son. Same can be said for neighbors use of the ski. I will also be using it and will be going on longer trips and tend to ride a bit more aggressively. Reliability is key and good gas mileage would be a nice bonus. So here is where I am stuck. Pretty sure an FX HO will suit my neighbor's needs just fine. I can't decide what is best for me. There are several skis out there. All in great shape with less than 55 hrs on them.

Easiest deal is an 07 FXHO and 08SHO on double trailer. Asking 15500. Will separate and sell 07 FXHO for $6000, have not agreed on SHO solo price.

07 FXHO single trailer, 13 hours $6000

09 SHO double trailer $8000.

Imagine the possibilities, get the 07 FXHO for 6K and get the 8K SHO. Deal and get the 2 FXHO skis, deal and get 2 SHO skis.

Is there really a $2000 difference between an SHO and FXHO when it comes to casually using the skis? Not looking to race or see 80mph but want a ski we will be happy with for many years.

Hi SeaNil,
    I've had both - 250hrs on the 07'ho 190 on the 08' fxsho
    These Skis are so different I wouldnt know where to start but heres a few first up,
    The HO will use more fuel than the sho but is substantially slower. The sho has a nano hull v's the ho has the old heavy hull. The sho has the new motor the ho has an outdated old motor.
    Dont get me wrong, I loved my 07' HO but its a vintage Ski by todays technology even if only low hours .

I still haven't found an absolute answer about the Yamaha supercharger. Does it need to be rebuilt after 100hrs (like the Sea Doo)?? If the supercharger does not have to be rebuilt I am very heavily leaning in the direction of getting an SHO ski. Does 8K for an 09 SHO seem reasonable? What about an 08...under 8K?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information