Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: msx 140 no go

msx 140 no go

my 03 msx 140 will turn over but have no spark . fuel sender is quite,dash won't come to life.tested cps 145 ohms,crank voltage on pin# 1/12 @2/11 are7vac. 3/10 4/9 5/8 are5vac. tested lanard switch ok stumped .is it emm or did i miss something?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Lanyard in place?

It does sound like the EMM power section has failed. Make sure the loop-back connector near the EMM for the White/Red wire is properly connected.

Measure voltage on White/Red without disconnecting anything. Should be over 20 volts when cranking.

lanyard in place. Checked loop back wire . secure. White/red loop back wire wire has 26-29 volts dc while cranking. injector wires are the some voltage.Any other checks? EMM to expensive to just try! Need to be sure! Thanks.

+1
    Well it sounds like you and I are on the same trail. I am sending my EMM overnight to DFI for diagnostics and if need be a repair. I have been fighting this thing since the 1st of July, I am showing similar voltages to you on red/white, Stator passes all tests per service manual(just replaced a failed one). The only difference I have to you, is my voltages rise to about 35-36 within about 10 sec of cranking, 23-26 instantly on touch of start button, no spark... Keep watching this thread, cause as soon as I hear from DFI on my EMM, I will post here what they found. Then when I get it back, and if the ski runs, I am going to throw a big party... this has been the most "challenging" piece of "Fun" equipment I have ever worked on... can you hear the sarcasim.... Stay tuned

Thanks, I"II be watching. I Didn't know emm was repairable? how much?

+1

DFI Technologies

Yep, not always rebuildable, but for what issues I am having yes it should be. Spoke with them this morning, code 17 on a water cooled EMM is usually the result of an overheat, in my case it was indicitive of a bad stator also, however that code seems to show itself with an overheated EMM, just a common error that seems to run parallel to a problem. (see their website) Which I had that code in the EMM prior to clearing it. Digital wrench showed the code occurred on my ski @ 94 hours,(there were a pile of codes stored) I bought the ski at 105 hrs so it looks to me like I inherited this issue. From what I went through, it was a slow burn down of the EMM, ski was just doing things that did not make sense to me. It is all starting to add up. I think for diagnosis they were charging about 250 or so, and if you had them fix it, they applied it forward. I have seen different prices on their site, ranging from 500 and change, up to about $700.00.. way better than buying a new EMM. I don't have a spare EMM laying around to test the ignition side, so to me paying the 250 plus freight in and out was worth it. This project has went on way to long for me. Your Stator is also rebuildable, I use RMStator out of Canada, 150.00 flat fee for a Polaris PWC stator, so keep that in mind, as it sounds to me that is another other issue on these MSX's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boomanch1967 View Post
    Yep, not always rebuildable, but for what issues I am having yes it should be. Spoke with them this morning, code 17 on a water cooled EMM is usually the result of an overheat, in my case it was indicitive of a bad stator also, however that code seems to show itself with an overheated EMM, just a common error that seems to run parallel to a problem. (see their website) Which I had that code in the EMM prior to clearing it. Digital wrench showed the code occurred on my ski @ 94 hours,(there were a pile of codes stored) I bought the ski at 105 hrs so it looks to me like I inherited this issue. From what I went through, it was a slow burn down of the EMM, ski was just doing things that did not make sense to me. It is all starting to add up. I think for diagnosis they were charging about 250 or so, and if you had them fix it, they applied it forward. I have seen different prices on their site, ranging from 500 and change, up to about $700.00.. way better than buying a new EMM. I don't have a spare EMM laying around to test the ignition side, so to me paying the 250 plus freight in and out was worth it. This project has went on way to long for me. Your Stator is also rebuildable, I use RMStator out of Canada, 150.00 flat fee for a Polaris PWC stator, so keep that in mind, as it sounds to me that is another other issue on these MSX's.
    Was DFI able to repair your EMM?

Any results?

+1

Still waiting to hear

They just got it on Thursday the 5th, I am kinda expecting to hear from them on Monday... Hoping that it is fried, because that would probably put an end to my hunting problems, if it is good, I am unsure where I am gonna look next... Stay tuned...

John

+1

DFI Update... Nothing wrong with my EMM

They just got it on Thursday the 5th, I am kinda expecting to hear from them on Monday... Hoping that it is fried, because that would probably put an end to my hunting problems, if it is good, I am unsure where I am gonna look next... Stay tuned...

John
    Well what I was sorta thinking would happen, EMM is fine, starts and runs their test unit without issue. So it is on its way back...
    So I am down to this, New stator is bad, got another one that just came back from RM Stator, so I got that covered, or brand new CPS sensor is having an issue... Not sure what else to look at, spark went away as soon as I put in new Stator, so that is where I am leaning, however it all tests ok, Voltage is higher than book states...ohm readings slightly higher than service manual. All pins open to ground...

Grounds are all good, anywhere I test on motor I have good connectivity to ground.. any other thoughts would be appreciated, whenever I get into a situation like this it always turns out to be something stupid, so I will crawl all the connections again before I pull the motor and put in yet another stator.

+1
    ...EMM is fine...

So I am down to this, New stator is bad, got another one that just came back from RM Stator, so I got that covered, or brand new CPS sensor is having an issue... Not sure what else to look at, spark went away as soon as I put in new Stator, so that is where I am leaning, however it all tests ok, Voltage is higher than book states...ohm readings slightly higher than service manual. All pins open to ground...

Grounds are all good, anywhere I test on motor I have good connectivity to ground.. any other thoughts would be appreciated, whenever I get into a situation like this it always turns out to be something stupid, so I will crawl all the connections again before I pull the motor and put in yet another stator.
    You didn't mention earlier that the spark went away when you put a new stator in.

Was the stator new, or 'good used' from somewhere?

Let us know what you find.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information