Banned User
    +1

Drive shaft seal

Is it possible to be sucking air into the pump area through my driveshaft seal and not have it leaking water into the hull? Im still having a cavitation issue on my SL650 and I have already re sealed the intake scoop, ride plate and grate as well as replaced the impeller. None of these things have really improved the issue. I am not getting any water in the hull, so im just assuming the shaft seals are ok.

Bryan

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Yes, it is possible to have ventilation without water leaking into the hull.

It is not expensive to replace the seals in the through-hull bearing with new, so I suggest you do so.

What exactly are the symptoms that have you suspecting ventilation (air leaks into the jet pump)?

Cavitation is different from ventilation, although the symptoms can be similar.

What is the condition of the impeller blades, wear ring, and stator vanes?

Banned User
    +1
    Stator vanes have some slight nicks and scrapes, nothing severe. I smoothed them out a little with a file last time I had it off. Impeller is good, just replaced it with a SBT rebuilt one. The wear ring has some small nicks in it but not in the areas where it meets the impeller. I havent measured it but I would guess clearance is ok. It appears the same as I have on my SL750 and that ski runs great. When I accelerate from idle, the engine revs up and it doesnt get out of the hole as well as it should. Its kind of like spinning the tires so to speak. I purchased a newer model through hull bearing from ebay, so I will buy new seals and rebuild that one and install it.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Stator vanes have some slight nicks and scrapes, nothing severe. I smoothed them out a little with a file last time I had it off. Impeller is good, just replaced it with a SBT rebuilt one. The wear ring has some small nicks in it but not in the areas where it meets the impeller. I havent measured it but I would guess clearance is ok. It appears the same as I have on my SL750 and that ski runs great. When I accelerate from idle, the engine revs up and it doesnt get out of the hole as well as it should. Its kind of like spinning the tires so to speak. I purchased a newer model through hull bearing from ebay, so I will buy new seals and rebuild that one and install it.
    Please tell me you didn't buy that one that was on there for $50.00. It looked pretty whipped if it is the same one I was looking at. I would check your impeller clearance since you put a refurb in there. Just because they say it is good doesn't mean that it is. Also have you checked to see that the pump bolts are still torqued to specs?

Banned User
    +1
    I have checked everything but actually putting a feeler gauge in the impeller. I know it is less than the .020 service limit thats listed in the manual. I got my shaft seal kit for $30 bucks a few weeks ago. The only thing left would be the through hull seals. I will rebuild the one I have here and try that next.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I have checked everything but actually putting a feeler gauge in the impeller. I know it is less than the .020 service limit thats listed in the manual. I got my shaft seal kit for $30 bucks a few weeks ago. The only thing left would be the through hull seals. I will rebuild the one I have here and try that next.
    $30.00 is average price for the through -hull seals.

Thread Information