Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

antifreeze leak or overheat?

I had a little unknown issue the other day. I went for a long ride the other day, maybe 1-1.5hrs. For the most part I was 60-80% full throttle, periodically 100% throttle for short bursts. The water was glass, I couldn't resist. Plus I was GPSing my ski. I had a few stops so it was not continual. Water temp was 50 F and air was 65 F. The machine ran great but when I was tying it to the dock, I noticed smoke coming out of the back (near seat vent). So when I removed the seat I could smell what I think was antifreeze, and the engine compartment was full of smoke. When I looked at the antifreeze overfill hose it was clear that antifreeze had come out through this hose. However if the machine overheated and the pressurized cap opened, should I not have seen an over temp alarm? I can see a little bit of fluid on the back of the motor around the SC but that is not where the smoke seemed to originate. I just got back from the cottage and will take a closer look but I did run it again the next day and it was fine. Plus, there was no fluid at the bottom of the hull. So does this look like a potential leak or did it just overheat?

+1
    The alarm will go off when it looses enough coolant and overheats. Maybe need to do a compression test, and see if a head gasket is starting to go.

I thought of that as well but I would expect the exhaust to have much more smoke then normal. Still a compression test is easy enough to do. I was hoping it was not something that serious. maybe I am just in denial!

+1
    If you send your oil off to an oil analysis lab it will tell you if you have a potential blown headgasket.

I tend to run the coolant level right at the minimum cold line. In the past, when I used to keep the coolant level much, much higher, sometimes the coolant would expand to the point where it would overflow just a little. No hi temps though. I recommend you lower your level down a bit, make certain there are no exhaust leaks (or anything else that could depressurize your system) and keep a close eye on it. Bombardier calls the coolant resevoir an "expansion tank".

If your coolant boils out vs simply expanding, more than likely your head is indeed starting to leak.

Brendan

+1
    Make sure the cap is on ALL the way. Moving the bottle around to do work under it you might have bumped it.
    Hopefully it is something as simple as that.

I don't think it is a head gasket (at least I hope). Like I mentioned before, coolant definitely did come out the overfill or "expansion" hose. I could see fresh droplets inside the clear hose, and the level from what I recall was not necessarily high but closer to the "max" line then the "min". Now it is at the min line. Also I ran it again the next day for a shorter amount of time and the problem did not come back. However I will be taking the cowling off and looking much closer tonight.

did you do anything before that to your ski like worked on something?
    had the same thing happen to me after i replaced the antifrreeze had some air bubbles in the ski.

I did not change a thing on the ski, prior to this happening. Plan on adding some mods (4" intake and 14/19R, and jerry's SC washers) tomorrow but I was waiting until I got back from vacation. It's wierd, it ran fine before, during, and after it happened. I was more curious as to what would have caused it. When it happened to you did you have a lot of smoke within the Engine compartment?

+1
    What kind of smoke did you see? Steam or exhaust smoke? Back the trailer up in the water and start it with the hood off and look for signs of exhaust smoke. Or just hook it up to the hose. Make sure you start it before you turn on the hose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information