Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: order of mods?

order of mods?

i've been reading old threads for a little over a week now and am not sure which route i should take for my 2009 wake pro 215. i've put a little over $15k (and counting) in upgrading my ATV, so i'm not shy with modifications. but i do what a reliable setup. i already have an LM-2 that i use for tuning my 4-wheeler, so i have the means to monitor A/F ratio to dial in the fuel, but i don't anticipate needing to adjust the fuel for a little while. i'm planning to get the XS intercooler, upgrade the impeller or replace the supercharger, 4" intake, TDR water box, and free flow exhaust. i already have the cheap OPAS locking kit, riva intake grate (gonna get an R&D, since i bought the riva before i started reading the forum), and R&D basic steering nozzle. what would be the best order for upgrading the higher performance parts in stages? i would like to only have to upgrade injectors once, so if i figure the first stage of upgrades will need to work with the stock injectors. what pitch should i use for the prop at the different stages? would it be a good idea to replace the R&D nozzle for one that has changeable rings to help dial in the rpms?

thanks in advance for advice. this site rocks for info on these machines. i've checked out a few others that have minimal discussion and info. you guys are much more like what i'm used to from the ATV forums.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    i've been reading old threads for a little over a week now and am not sure which route i should take for my 2009 wake pro 215. i've put a little over $15k (and counting) in upgrading my ATV, so i'm not shy with modifications. but i do what a reliable setup. i already have an LM-2 that i use for tuning my 4-wheeler, so i have the means to monitor A/F ratio to dial in the fuel, but i don't anticipate needing to adjust the fuel for a little while. i'm planning to get the XS intercooler, upgrade the impeller or replace the supercharger, 4" intake, TDR water box, and free flow exhaust. i already have the cheap OPAS locking kit, riva intake grate (gonna get an R&D, since i bought the riva before i started reading the forum), and R&D basic steering nozzle. what would be the best order for upgrading the higher performance parts in stages? i would like to only have to upgrade injectors once, so if i figure the first stage of upgrades will need to work with the stock injectors. what pitch should i use for the prop at the different stages? would it be a good idea to replace the R&D nozzle for one that has changeable rings to help dial in the rpms?

thanks in advance for advice. this site rocks for info on these machines. i've checked out a few others that have minimal discussion and info. you guys are much more like what i'm used to from the ATV forums.
    To be honest, I would treat it like a RXT than look at doing a Stage1+ to Stage 2+

sounds good, but i don't plan on doing it the same as the riva kits. i don't like their intercooler because i don't want to do a rear exhaust. there are a lot of idle speed zones around here and slow speed manatee zones, so i think the exhaust drone will get to me. think that a 4" kanaflex intake, XS intercooler, gen 2 impeller, water box, and free flow exhaust will run on stock injectors? i might just pick those things up a few at a time then install them all at once with a 15/20 solas prop.

You want to run a free flow exhaust...not a through hull...you don't want to hear a drone low down...? You're gonna add an XS...not a Riva...why?...don't wanna run though hull?

Not sure...but....running a green wheel and an xsic....might have to bump the fuel. Could just add the rrfpr and be done with it.

One thing I've learned when adding mods. One at a time works best. That way....if you're not getting what you feel you should...if you've thrown it all on at once...where do you start looking?

is the free flow exhaust as loud as the through hull? i read a few threads where some guys were complaining about the drone of the through hull exhaust. the riva intercooler specifies that you have to run a through hull exhaust, which is why i was looking at the XS intercooler.

when i did the bulk of the power mods to my 4-wheeler, i did it all at once. 2 mm overbore and 13:1 compression, cams, oversized valves, port and polish, intake, full exhaust, etc. i have no idea what each modification did individually, but i know that the performance gains were well worth every penny spent. if i do all the mods listed to my ski, i'm not too worried about what each one will do, as i'm looking for a reliable total package.

+1
    You want to run the Thru-Hulll if you want no drone. The free flow has drone around the 3500-4500 RPM range.

good to know. that opens up other options now. i definitely don't want a bad drone in that range because of the slow speed zones (under 25 mph). not sure what the guys were complaining about with their through hull exhausts in that case. maybe they never heard a free flow in the same conditions?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by got wake? View Post
    sounds good, but i don't plan on doing it the same as the riva kits. i don't like their intercooler because i don't want to do a rear exhaust. there are a lot of idle speed zones around here and slow speed manatee zones, so i think the exhaust drone will get to me. think that a 4" kanaflex intake, XS intercooler, gen 2 impeller, water box, and free flow exhaust will run on stock injectors? i might just pick those things up a few at a time then install them all at once with a 15/20 solas prop.
    I didnt really mean use Rivas stage 1, I was using it more as a guide line, 4" Kana, XS or Riva Gen2 IC, Riva grate, Solas 14/19, through hull exhaust, than go up with Gen 2 impeller, 42# injecters

+1
    If it were me I would just get the Riva waterbox insted of getting a thru hull and a TDR waterbox.

The free flow exhausts make a horrible noise at low RPM but and speed.

If for now you dont want to change the injectors the do the exhaust, a 4" intake and get 1 of the External IC setups that are availible and the prop it to 8100 n you will be good.

Then when you want some more, get a X series SCer a set of 42s and a RRFPR, at this point your gona need you LM2 to adjust the RRFPR accordingly.

Your other easy option which Im running right now and its awsome esspecially for towing as it has real good low down torque for getting wakeboards and skiers up. Is to run the X charger on the stock 215 IC, I have a gutted shorty water box and the riva thru hull, 4" air intake X charger and 42 injectors.

For now I feel this would be your easyest setup, its reliable and simple. For info as well for what ever reason I saw no rpm drop when I removed the XS cooler and the accelleration is def harder with the stock IC.

So nice easy setup that your gona feel a godd improvement would be:

X Charger.
    42s.
    4" air intake.
    Riva Waterbox and thru hull fitting.
    Get the prop re-pitched to suit.

Then if down the road you want a intercooler you will just have to add a RRFPR and set it accordingly.

I Personally wouldnt bother with any of the drop in wheels for the 215 charger, most of them are near the cost of a complete X charger and are only a wheel compared to the bigger, better and more importantly COMPLETE new charger that you can upgrade later, also by getting a whole new charger you have the stock 1 that you could put back in when the X charger needs maint which means no down time in riding.

The last thing to consider is weather you get a new prop or have your stock 1 re-pitched, you can get good results with the stock prop and this is obviosly the cheaper option but as mentioned above I would upgrade to a 14/19 solas and have the pitch fettled to suit your ski this will give you the best results.

I hope this info helps out a little, Iv been down the same route that your looking at right now and have ended up buying a second ski that has allot of mods done to it but takes some looking after and is not really recreation friendly, its aimed at racing really, and have de-tuned my other ski to make it really reliable but still faster then stock so I can just go out and ride it with friends and family take it home flush it out and not have any worries with it and use the other 1 on the track, OK i know that this is not an option for most but the problem with modding is sometimes it gets in the way of riding and after all thats why we get the things in the first place.

R88

i hear you on the mods getting in the way of riding. been there plenty of times with my 4-wheeler. i've contemplated buying a second one just for trail riding because i was always working on my bike getting it ready to race. i doubt i'll ever get into racing my seadoo, but who knows. i guess for now i should be looking at building it reliable without going too crazy. now that i think about it, the X charger would be a great option, so i can see about fitting my stocker on my 4-wheeler. now the wheels are turning in my head about how to make that work. that is never good, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information