Question Purchasing SD: 1997 GTI OK?

I'm in Dallas and am going to purchase a used jetski. Have been combing through craigslist to find a ski with a seller I can trust. I found a 1997 GTI 3 seater. I've driven jet skis but not owned any. Since this is a 2 stroke are there red flags I should be looking for? When he started it dry (only briefly, maybe 3 seconds) it smoked (but do most 2 strokes smoke, i mean thats what the do right, mix oil and gas .. He also has a 1999 GST ltd and a Yamaha GP1200. The Yamaha sounds bad to the bone. Since this is for family fun, I'm not sure these 135HP ones are tame enough. Also, the GTI has nuetral and reverse.

The price on the GTI is $2000 with trailer. Is that high? Trying to look around for similar ski's to compare prices but not seeing any.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

as with anything used, it's how well they were maintained. I assume you mean a 1999 gsx limited or gtx limited? $2000 is a good starting price, $1500 sounds better, it's 13 years old, can you take a compression test? ride it 15 mins or so ,see if it lags/hesitates, overheats, stalls, takes in water. the gti is a better all around family type ski and I mean on a maintenance side. you'll tame the 135 with no problem neither but you may have to wrench on them more because you don't know their maintenance history. get 2 for 2500 and you'll be ahead.btw the gp1200 and the gsx a rated as a 2 person ski. the gti and gtx is rated as a 3 person ski. good luck.

+1
    I like mine, it's reliable and easy to maintain. I use it primarily for pulling the kids on a tube and the occasional long cruise. Good throttle control with the 720 at towing speeds. It's not as heavy as the newer 3 seaters and I like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by thetazzbot View Post
    I'm in Dallas and am going to purchase a used jetski. Have been combing through craigslist to find a ski with a seller I can trust. I found a 1997 GTI 3 seater. I've driven jet skis but not owned any. Since this is a 2 stroke are there red flags I should be looking for? When he started it dry (only briefly, maybe 3 seconds) it smoked (but do most 2 strokes smoke, i mean thats what the do right, mix oil and gas .. He also has a 1999 GST ltd and a Yamaha GP1200. The Yamaha sounds bad to the bone. Since this is for family fun, I'm not sure these 135HP ones are tame enough. Also, the GTI has nuetral and reverse.The price on the GTI is $2000 with trailer. Is that high? Trying to look around for similar ski's to compare prices but not seeing any.

Thanks for your advice in advance.
    Compression test, Listen for bearing noise, Look at the hull/ make sure there aren't any huge gashes in gel coat, make sure everything works, Test ride will help with listening for bearing noise and you can see how it performs, The smoke might be because he is using cheap oil so find out what he is using. It's an old ski so be prepared to have to fix something on it.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    Compression test, Listen for bearing noise, Look at the hull/ make sure there aren't any huge gashes in gel coat, make sure everything works, Test ride will help with listening for bearing noise and you can see how it performs, The smoke might be because he is using cheap oil so find out what he is using. It's an old ski so be prepared to have to fix something on it.
    Yeah I will pull the plugs and check the compression. Hope my compression tool fits. Are the plug size/threads special? i.e. not compatible with a car compression tester? At least I'll be able to check for fouling.

I don't think I can get this guy down on two jet ski's. It's a sellers market right now. He wants $2500 for the GSX alone (no trailer) so he might be sniffing fumes. Speaking of which, is it normal to have a strong odor of gas in the engine compartment?

I'm a decent mechanic, well equipped in the tool area (haha) so I'm not afraid to turn some wrenches, long as I can get some use out of it this summer. I'm settled on the GTI, but wouldnt mind having both.

14mm threads, see if your adapter threads are the length of the plug lengths. gas smell could be because the gas is left on and the needles may be leaking in the carbs or a fuel leak somewhere. do you know if it has the grey fuel lines? if so you will need to replace them and clean the carb thoroughly. it's not a sellers market, let him know that in some way. yeah stick with the gti. I personally wouldn't spend $2500 on a 99 2 stroke, especially a 951, without knowing the history and maint of it.

I went with the GTI. Checked compression, 125 each cylinder. Probably needs new plugs and other TLC other than that runs good. What is the top end on these with a heavy rider like myself

125 seems a bit on the low side but atleast they're even, you checked with both plugs out and the throttle wide open? congrats on the ski and enjoy. i'm thinking 50-52mph.

Thread Information