Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Hunters?

Any Hunters?

Hey guys,
    Just got my hunters safety certificate finally. I have been getting more and more into hunting in the last few years and finally can do it this year instead of just sitting in the blind with my buddies. I plan on turkey hunting, take one or two whitetails with bow, do some canadian goose hunting, and probably some coyote and other small game. How many on here are hunters and what do you hunt? Any tips on turkey; this will be my first season. I have all the camo, remington turkey gun, turkey ammo, and call. Anything else I will need. I am hunting private property and know exactly where the turkeys will be so I probably wont even have to call.

+1
    if you go during the cold, take one piece of advice from me with you. never can you ever pack enough clothes. i duck/ goose hunt, and deer hunt. ive been trying to go turkey hunting for a while now but have no one to go with, or land that has them. i bow hunt and rifle hunt for deer.

i made the mistake of wearing too thin of shoes and one pair of socks duck hunting. i was in a blind on the water and my feet were frozen and numb for hours. miserable i tell you. always bring extra clothes, socks incase your feet get wet, whatever you need. thermos. you name it. be smart. if deer hunting always know the background of your shot and youll be fine.

great sport and i cant wait to start hunting again next season.

thanks for the info. I have spent alot of money on gear but never thought about bringing extra pair of socks. That makes alot of sense and is easy to bring. What tree stand do u recommend. I was leaning toward a climber because I will be hunting some private land and some state land. It will give me the ability to be flexible for deer season.

+1
    climbers work, you just gotta be prepared to move branches and watch out for bigger branches and kinks in trees that you cant get around.

hunting from the ground isnt impossible. as long as you are still and get some of that scent blocker stuff. the land i hunt is very hilly, and we simply sit atop the hills to give us a good look down and around.

gotcha thats cool

Try a blind...a double bull blind... they're easy to move...turkey don't pay them no mind. deer will though...on their trails...unless you leave them up for a while.

Climbers are noisy...plan on it. ladder stands are quieter...once you have them up...not readily portable though. have more than one location scouted out...wind is not always your friend. If it ain't in your favor when you get on stand....move to where it is.

If you're gonna hunt your next door neighbor's turkey pen...be quick...the DNR will come a runnin.

What kind of "call" do you have for turkey?

I have a box call. I have played around with it and am pretty decent at calling. My problem with the stands is if I buy a ladder, and go to state land to hunt it will probably get stolen. I cant imagine why you would steal from someone walking out there with a riffle in their hand... but that's another story. I cant afford to buy both a deer and turkey stand right now. I just plan on sitting next to a tree for turkey.

Storms've been raising hell with my connections lately...

Get yourself a Summit Viper.....the climber of choice. Everyone that I know who has one...loves it. http://www.amazon.com/Summit-Viper-S.../dp/B000LQJSCE

My only advice I can give you..honestly re hunting turkey. Sometimes...less is more...ie...too much calling will drive them...not wild...but, away.

yea my plan was to buy the summit viper. I have heard alot of good about it. And thanks for the info on calling turkey. I need to learn how to call for canadian geese. I am terrible... lol. also do you call your deer? if you do do use buck grunt or rattling?

Re deer.

I have a grunt call that'll do a doe bleat as well as a buck grunt....I dunno $10 at wally world...made outa black plastic. It works in the inhilation so it won't freeze up. I also have "the can"....the lil one. It does a fawn bleat that'll bring momma to the stand if you're not carefull. I like using it to bring out the ladies in hopes that bull winkle will then see the live "decoys"...and wanna get closer for a sniff of some perfume....heh.

I bagged a small 8pt last year...a cull. I'll be using the rack this year for a rattle. It'll be hanging a foot off the ground under my stand...I'll be able to move the rope around to get them to rattle...low down...not 20' in the air.

There is another call I want to try...i believe I have a need for one more. this call.....I don't know what it's called...imitates a deer's snort. the sound he makes when winding you or seeing something that don't belong. It's high...$30-$40 especially for what it is. a small piece of plastic with a slit cut into it. You tie it around your neck keep it close on your way into the woods. If you bust something outa bed on your way in...the deer will snort...Your supposed to snort right back...keep this up as long as he/she does. eventually he/she will try to get around you to cut your back trail...what you've done is bought yourself time. you may be able to take him before you get on stand. if I find it and it works....I'll let you know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information