Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1994 Polaris SLT 750 problem

Hello All, i purchased this ski for really cheap a couple months ago. The previous owner couldnt get it started and gave up on it. I replaced the starter, replaced the fuel lines, pulled the gas tank and cleaned it, and put in new plugs. It fires right up and idles fine. I took it to the lake yesterday and it will only run about 25 mph top speed, and it is very slow getting to that speed. It also seems to be vibrating more than any other skis i have rode. Could these two problems be connected? Any help on these problems would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

+1
    I guess I finally get to be the first one to tell you this!

If you haven't done it yet, upgrade to the triple outlet fuel pump.

And...Rebuild the carbs. Rebuild the carbs. Rebuild the carbs.

Search, and you'll find more than enough information on this.

Here's a jump start for you.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....is-fuji-engine

+1
    you might want to check the compression.

If it hasn't been running you should do those carbs as suggested. Also definitely check compression to rule out those issues right away. Since you have already rode it let's check some other issues also but still check the compression and do the carbs.

Do your rpms come up normally but the ski doesn't pick up speed and vibrates or does it seem like the engine is dragging? If the rpms are coming up normally and you don't have a compression issue then your problem is most likely in the jet pump but it could also be fuel related.

Check compression and post back.

i will check the compression

I will definitely check the compression and post back. The whole engine just seems to be dragging. It does seem to be bogging down occasionally when the throttle is pressed also. thanks

Home grown engineer, and professional tinkerer. 2 Strokin' Polaris's Avatar
    You may also want to check the drive lines as bearings like to seize up and add drag if they haven't been properly lubed. I have had issues in the past with those bearings letting go, and it started with vibrations like you describe.

+1
    Bad vibrations could be a bent driveshaft. And do check the seal carrier (thru-hull bearing carrier) to see it has grease in it. The two bearings in it are actually bushings that ride on the driveshaft keeping it aligned so the seals on each end can do their job (rear one keeps water out, front one keeps grease in).

I would also pull the jet pump (remove 4 LONG bolts), and remove the impeller. Your stub shaft bearings (the short shaft the impeller screw on to) could be bad causing terrible drag on the engine as it tries to spin the impeller. Check for smooth bearing play... no grinding or slop... and no water into the bearings past the seals and under the cone.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the posts to this thread. I really appreciate it. I did a compression test on the ski and all three cylinders have about 110 psi. As i pulled the spark plugs i noticed that the #2 and #3 spark plugs looked black or burned. The front plug looked brand new. All these plugs were put in new before this past weekend. Also there is a hole that has melted through the plastic cover that is over the carbs. I have posted pics of these. Do you think all of this is connected to my original problem. Thanks again for all the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL372550.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	208089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL372552.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	208092  

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Make sure you're getting good spark on all 3 cyls.

Either that spark plug is not firing, or it's running so hot, it won't leave any deposit on it. Which means you are about to ruin that piston.

What is above or below that hole in the Flame Arrestor cover?

I checked and it does have spark at all three cylinders. I examined the fuel system and found that the auto cock is still on the ski, i didnt see the small brass fuel restrictor that is talked about in other threads, and it still has the single outlet fuel pump. I will get a new triple pump and restictor on it and remove the autocock. I dont know if it will fix all my problems but hopefully it will help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information