Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    A few I/C questions....

    I have a few intercooler questions I need some help with. I have a FZS with the stock intercooler and stock water supply to it. Some of you are running aftermarket intercoolers that flow better cool better etc....

    My question is this. Do the larger aftermarket intercoolers produce better running results on the first few passes vs. the stock setup or do they just help with the heat fade later into the day when the engine bay has become hotter?

    My boat currently runs its best on the first pass then as the day goes on continues to slow down. I feel this is normal but Im wondering if the aftermarket I/C will help this. But with the aftermarket I/C will I also run better than stock on the first pass?

    Its hard to explain what Im asking but I tried....


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Miami, Florida, United States
    Posts
    306
    +1
    4
    ima follow this!

  3. #3
    SHOBiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    3,577
    In a sense you answered your own question

    "My boat currently runs its best on the first pass then as the day goes on continues to slow down"

    The Stock IC will heat soak quickly and then just go downhill from there as conditions get hotter.
    Even if you sit idling for a few minutes to cool (relative) it down it would not last long.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    In a sense you answered your own question

    "My boat currently runs its best on the first pass then as the day goes on continues to slow down"

    The Stock IC will heat soak quickly and then just go downhill from there as conditions get hotter.
    Even if you sit idling for a few minutes to cool (relative) it down it would not last long.
    But will the aftermarket I/C add rpms to the first initial cold engine run?

  5. #5
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,799
    +1
    2,013
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    I have a few intercooler questions I need some help with. I have a FZS with the stock intercooler and stock water supply to it. Some of you are running aftermarket intercoolers that flow better cool better etc....

    My question is this. Do the larger aftermarket intercoolers produce better running results on the first few passes vs. the stock setup or do they just help with the heat fade later into the day when the engine bay has become hotter?
    My boat currently runs its best on the first pass then as the day goes on continues to slow down. I feel this is normal but Im wondering if the aftermarket I/C will help this. But with the aftermarket I/C will I also run better than stock on the first pass?

    Its hard to explain what Im asking but I tried....
    Yes & yes.

    I went & searched for the IAT data Jerry had posted in his build thread & found this:
    see posts 518 & 1455
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1071586
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...op#post1295170
    His post IC temps were 90-100 in June in 90-95* weather & 83 in the post from Dec with an E1 wheel making 15+psi. My IAT's in 90*+ weather with the C1 at only 10psi & smaller IC are ~145* on the first pass & rise to nearly 170* after heat soak. I bet if I tried bolting in an E1 without upgrading my cooling setup the temps would be nearly 100* higher than his. So yes, you can expect much better performance from a better IC both before & after heat soak.

  6. #6
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11
    Great post and info!

    Man do I ever need an IC.

  7. #7
    Yesterday my first pass was at 7900+. After fours of riding I couldnt turn 7800. I pulled the seat off and made a pass without it and it went 7900 again.

    It was 100 degrees with heat index of 107.....

  8. #8
    hitman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    4,328
    +1
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    But will the aftermarket I/C add rpms to the first initial cold engine run?
    YES.

  9. #9
    106 today with a heat index of 110.....too hot for anything....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. A few engine reinstall questions.
    By Fosta in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2015, 06:46 AM
  2. A Few Ultra 150 questions.
    By Billysgoat in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
  3. Few leakdown test questions
    By ryanbgb22 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 10:46 PM
  4. A few open cooling questions
    By jasonze in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 02:08 AM
  5. A few Pro 785 questions...
    By hyoctane23 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •