A few I/C questions....

I have a few intercooler questions I need some help with. I have a FZS with the stock intercooler and stock water supply to it. Some of you are running aftermarket intercoolers that flow better cool better etc....

My question is this. Do the larger aftermarket intercoolers produce better running results on the first few passes vs. the stock setup or do they just help with the heat fade later into the day when the engine bay has become hotter?

My boat currently runs its best on the first pass then as the day goes on continues to slow down. I feel this is normal but Im wondering if the aftermarket I/C will help this. But with the aftermarket I/C will I also run better than stock on the first pass?

Its hard to explain what Im asking but I tried....

+1
    ima follow this!

In a sense you answered your own question

"My boat currently runs its best on the first pass then as the day goes on continues to slow down"

The Stock IC will heat soak quickly and then just go downhill from there as conditions get hotter.
    Even if you sit idling for a few minutes to cool (relative) it down it would not last long.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    In a sense you answered your own question

"My boat currently runs its best on the first pass then as the day goes on continues to slow down"

The Stock IC will heat soak quickly and then just go downhill from there as conditions get hotter.
    Even if you sit idling for a few minutes to cool (relative) it down it would not last long.
    But will the aftermarket I/C add rpms to the first initial cold engine run?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    I have a few intercooler questions I need some help with. I have a FZS with the stock intercooler and stock water supply to it. Some of you are running aftermarket intercoolers that flow better cool better etc....

My question is this. Do the larger aftermarket intercoolers produce better running results on the first few passes vs. the stock setup or do they just help with the heat fade later into the day when the engine bay has become hotter?
    My boat currently runs its best on the first pass then as the day goes on continues to slow down. I feel this is normal but Im wondering if the aftermarket I/C will help this. But with the aftermarket I/C will I also run better than stock on the first pass?

Its hard to explain what Im asking but I tried....
    Yes & yes.

I went & searched for the IAT data Jerry had posted in his build thread & found this:
    see posts 518 & 1455
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1071586
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...op#post1295170
    His post IC temps were 90-100 in June in 90-95* weather & 83 in the post from Dec with an E1 wheel making 15+psi. My IAT's in 90*+ weather with the C1 at only 10psi & smaller IC are ~145* on the first pass & rise to nearly 170* after heat soak. I bet if I tried bolting in an E1 without upgrading my cooling setup the temps would be nearly 100* higher than his. So yes, you can expect much better performance from a better IC both before & after heat soak.

+1
    Great post and info!

Man do I ever need an IC.

Yesterday my first pass was at 7900+. After fours of riding I couldnt turn 7800. I pulled the seat off and made a pass without it and it went 7900 again.

It was 100 degrees with heat index of 107.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    But will the aftermarket I/C add rpms to the first initial cold engine run?
    YES.

106 today with a heat index of 110.....too hot for anything....

Thread Information