Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

97 XP Won't Turn Over

Just bought this the other day. I apparently have bad luck, because right after I bought my Yamaha I had problems with it too. Took it out for a test ride before I bought it, and it ran great. Right as I was pulling up to the dock, I flipped it. Turns out the hood wasn't latched and water got in there. I started it up for a minute or two after we pulled it out of the water.

Now I can't get it started. I did just lose the oil cap (took it off and forgot to put it back on, drove down the highway). I thought it would be the battery, but I switched batteries in my skis and the Yamaha starts right up. I don't know if the oil system is pressurized and that's why it won't start, or it has something to do with getting water up in the engine compartment.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    you are hydro locked....pull the plugs asap and crank it over to get the water out through the plug holes! fog the cylinders and run it on the hose for a bit so the cylinders dont rust

I was worried about that, which is why I quick started it right after I pulled it out, but wasn't sure that would be enough. I don't think these skis have a hose hookup however. If it does I have no idea where it is.

If it doesn't have a hose hookup, should I just launch it in the water and try to mess with it there?

+1
    have you pulled the plugs yet and tried to turn it over? if you have put the plugs back in and see if it starts. if it does take it to the lake/river and run it for 20mins to make sure that all the water is either burnt up or sent out the exhaust

+1 on what Airborne said.

You may even want to buy new plugs. I hydro'd my gsx once and damn thing wouldn't start after I cleared the cylinders. Replaced the plugs and it fired right up. If you don't have the hose tube at the pump and you can't find an actual seadoo flush adapter kit a prestone radiator flush kit will work in a pinch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post

You may even want to buy new plugs. I hydro'd my gsx once and damn thing wouldn't start after I cleared the cylinders. Replaced the plugs and it fired right up. If you don't have the hose tube at the pump and you can't find an actual seadoo flush adapter kit a prestone radiator flush kit will work in a pinch.
    you can also hit them with some carb cleaner if you dont have new plugs laying around to get you started at least but definitly change the plugs when you can

I'm probably pushing it, but it's been about 2 days. It's getting dark out and my neighbors will hate if I try it tonight. Do you think I could wait until the morning, or should it be done immediately?

+1
    the longer it sits the greater chance of your crank seals rusting and pistons rusting to the cylinder walls. then you will be rebuilding it for sure...if its not already there.

id do it now. it takes 5 mins to take the plugs out and crank over the engine...your not starting it. it shouldnt bother the neighbors

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    the longer it sits the greater chance of your crank seals rusting and pistons rusting to the cylinder walls. then you will be rebuilding it for sure...if its not already there.

id do it now. it takes 5 mins to take the plugs out and crank over the engine...your not starting it. it shouldnt bother the neighbors

The neighbors will live through it. Doo what ya gotta doo and if they get pissed about it bake em some cookies

Well I sprayed some fogging oil in the cylinders, with both the plugs in and with them out. I turned over both ways (which I assume is a good thing!) but it didn't start. Quite a bit of water came out of it.

I sprayed some more fogging oil in the cylinders and left the plugs out for the night. I still can't find a hose hookup, but it was dark out and I didn't look too hard. I'll try to get it started again tomorrow.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information