Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2000 Ultra 150 5500 RPM?

I just bought this ski Friday, took it out for the first timed saturday, it would only run 38mph on glass and it seemed like 5500rpm was the rev limiter. I did a compression test when I bought it, it had 120 across all 3, new plugs. It has 148 hours on the hull, but the motor was rebuilt in 2007-2008. My initial thought(since I did some research) was the bearings n the pump were shot, pulled the cone off, no water, bearings look and feel brand new. There was a dab of gear oil behind the cone.(Did someone convert it to oil?) I rechecked the compression, still 120psi, has spark on all 3 cylinder. Plugs look like they are burning good, light brown color, no oil on them. The fuel filter was nasty, so I replaced it. I put the ski on the hose and it would rev close to 8000 on the trailer. I put it back in the water hoping I cured the problem. Now sometimes when you hit the throttle it will only go 10mph like it is starving for fuel, then it will take off and will run 42mph now. After floating around I fired it back up, went down the lake and got it to 55mph at 6750rpm or so. Then it went right back to 5500rpm and 40mph.

I am thinking it may be trash/varnished gas in the carbs, are these hard to pull, and pull apart to inspect/rebuild? Help!

Always test ride and run the hell out of a ski before buying it!! You could have prob bought it much cheaper running the way it is!!

As for your issue, it def sounds like a fuel issue. The carbs are very easy to pull. Take them off and clean them up. Check the diaphrams for any tears/cracks. How old is the fuel? I wouldnt run the ski anymore until you make sure the carbs are right or you will end up burning up the top end!

I know I should have, this is my first jet ski and I jumped the gun I guess. I did run a compression test on it, ran it on the trailer, and looked it over good. I guess this is why he was getting rid of it(although no mention of anything wrong). He said he had it 71 the weekend before. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Back on subject, I pulled the carbs off, quite a bit of trash under the CV diaphragm in #1, and a little in 2 and 3. took everything out blew everything out and cleaned up. Put it all back together. I am going to replace all of the oil lines while it is apart. I also took the fuel pump apart to see if it had any trash or varnish in it, it looked clean, no tore diaphragms gaskets or anything, a few screws were just barely tight. I don't know if they've been into them, or if vibration rattled them loose.

Another question,

Should the trim, trim down, neutral, and up? Or does it only trim down and to a neutral position? Mine trims down, and to neutral but won't go up. Judging by the screen it looks like it should trim up also. I can't find a definite answer. I see how to do the trim mod, but I'm not sure if my trim is working correctly? I pulled the motor out of the front and checked the cable/motor out, I also checked the breakers under the battery, they weren't tripped.

Make sure you blow through the low and high speed jets in the carbs good. Also the little metal screens that clip on under the needle/seat. They tend to get trash clogged in them. As far as the trim goes, You can tell if its going up and down all the way just by looking at it. Just trim it to the neutral position, then up and down from there. It should be fairly equal on both. When trimmed all the way up you can see the nozzle pointed up quite a bit. When making a highspeed strait run, you will want the trim up as far as it goes. For better handling in making tight turns, trim it down. Your guage could just be off??

5500 rpm says your running on 2 cylinders. Start it up on the trailer and let it run for 15-20 seconds then shut it off and feel the plug bases. If you find a cold one then thats the one not firing. That trick also works well when on the water. You may need to trim the plug wires back.

The trim only moves up and down below the line on the gauge, so if your thinking its not working because the bars dont go above mid level its actually ok.

Thanks for the reply, I cleaned the carbs out, they were nasty, disassembled the fuel pump and check for trash and bad diaphragms, I replaced all of the oil lines while I had it apart, and the pulse hose. I pulled the fuel pickup and cleaned it(it was clean), blew out the pickup hoses. Put it all back together, felt the plug bases and number 1 was cold on the hose.

#1 was 80
    #2 was 160
    #3 was 190

I trimmed back all the wires, and cleaned the oil fouled plug and tried again, still same thing. I checked for spark again and compared it to number 2 with the #1 plug. It came up to 100 degrees. Then I swapped out number 1 plug boot with number 2, now it gets up to 130 on the hose and doesn't burn nearly as rich. I went ahead and replaced the plugs also. Is #1 130 #160 and #3 190 degrees normal? I am going to put it in the water tommorrow and see how it does. Will the NGK spark plug boots work on the Ultra? Kawasaki wants 34$ a piece for OEM, they have the NGK's for 4 bucks.

Thanks for all the responses guys, and I went ahead and did the trim mod as per the mods thread.

Edit: yeah I cut all of the wires back too about 3/4".

Ok, update. Just brought it back off the water, let it warm up, and let it rip. It ran 58mph at 6750-7000 and had no more. It didnt matter if I gave it 3/4 or full throttle 58mph was top speed. It takes off GREAT compared to before, it actually has some power. Sounds better and is smoother. However, shouldnt it run 70+ by the dream-o-meter? I am thinking I will change the fuel filter to an OEM one, and try new spark plug caps. . I used an automotive Nissan filter. However it had less restriction to blow through than the OEM i took off. I took it back to the dock and pulled the seat off and done the touch test, all 3 cylinders are nice and warm. Is it possible to replace the plug wires? I'd like to have it running RIGHT by this weekend so I Can enjoy it to its full extent. Do these require premium? I didn't see any stickers on it indicating such, so I just put 87 in it.

Those compression #s are all over the place I would try a different gauge. Try putting fresh plugs in it.

Sorry, that isn't worded great. Those are spark plug base temperatures on the hose, not compression. Compression is 120 across the board, and it has new plugs with 30 minutes on them.

If it has stock heads then it doesnt need premium. You cant go by dremo meter they will lie to you. Use a gps to check your speed it should be arround 64-65 gps. I have seen my dremo meter say 98mph, I was really doing 75. Your rpm sounds about rite now. I wouldnt think changing plug wires would be nessasary.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information