Pole rider and couch speed freak!

FZR ribbon removal, ex mod, and intake install.....anything I need to know?

I know the ribbon deal is not as simple as they lay out in the instructions.

Any tips I need to know before starting?

Any gaskets or parts needed that are not included with the kit?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by philip clemmons View Post
    I know the ribbon deal is not as simple as they lay out in the instructions.

Any tips I need to know before starting?

Any gaskets or parts needed that are not included with the kit?
    Anything you need to know......... Yea! GET READY!!! Get ready to scream, yell, bleed and drink lots of beer. Ribbon install sucks major ass and will take the most time. Only thing part-wise you will really need is the plug for the exhaust when you ditch that resonator bulb.

Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Anything you need to know......... Yea! GET READY!!! Get ready to scream, yell, bleed and drink lots of beer. Ribbon install sucks major ass and will take the most time. Only thing part-wise you will really need is the plug for the exhaust when you ditch that resonator bulb.
    Does the kit not come with this? (plug)

How long is the ribbon install for a good mechanic?

+1
    Does the kit not come with this? (plug)

How long is the ribbon install for a good mechanic?
    Im a mechanic myself. I had every tool I needed to do this job. But its just a matter of you cant see shit that you need to get to. So that adds a whole degree of fun to the project. It took me dam near 3 hours start to finish and fishing for a dropped wrench under the engine.

Oh you got the actual free-flow kit? You said exhaust mod so I figured you were going to mod the stock exhaust silencer like most guys have. Lot less resonation that way. If you did get the free-flow kit then you wont need anything but ear plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by jtskier11 View Post
    Im a mechanic myself. I had every tool I needed to do this job. But its just a matter of you cant see shit that you need to get to. So that adds a whole degree of fun to the project. It took me dam near 3 hours start to finish and fishing for a dropped wrench under the engine.

Oh you got the actual free-flow kit? You said exhaust mod so I figured you were going to mod the stock exhaust silencer like most guys have. Lot less resonation that way. If you did get the free-flow kit then you wont need anything but ear plugs.
    So if all goes well, how long?

Will these mods make a noticeable difference?

I need to be able to spank the original Ultra 250.................lol

+1

Id say give yourself a good long morning or evening. To be on the safe side. On my ski just the ribbon delete and modding my stock exhaust made a huge difference. I havent ridden with my new intake setup yet.

Just be aware you may need a repitch!!!

Well, it took me 5 hours to do it and from what I've read, when you do it for the 1st time it takes from 2h30 to 5h to do it. What funny (after all the suffering) is that now that I've done it, my guess is it would only take me 30 min to 1h to do it again!!!!
    But it's a good experience to dissassemble parts and install them, you'll learn a lot about how things/parts work together in your engine.
    What they don't say in the instructions is that you have to remove the fuel rail/injectores, disconnect several electronic plugs to make the job easier

As for the noticeable difference, I noticed much improved throttle response and low/mid range acceleration.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lukygomes View Post
    But it's a good experience to dissassemble parts and install them, you'll learn a lot about how things/parts work together in your engine.
    What they don't say in the instructions is that you have to remove the fuel rail/injectores, disconnect several electronic plugs to make the job easier

As for the noticeable difference, I noticed much improved throttle response and low/mid range acceleration.
    You hit the nail on the head. It is good to do it yourself becasue now you will never forget how to do it and you know exactly where every bolt is and out to get to it. Gear Wrenches are great for the 2 bolts that come up from the bottom through the brackets and into the intake manifold.

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier or I would have told you to just pull the injectors, fuel rail, wiring harnesss and all that crap out of the way. Makes for a much easier install. Glad it's all done. Those mods are absolutely necessary to open up the ski and let it breathe. You will be spanking Kawis in no time.

Thread Information