Question How's the reliability of the GP800R?

I am looking to get a 2004 GP800R in great condition for my girlfriend, but I don't wanna pick up a ski with known reliability issues. I've heard some people are a little wishy-washy on this ski, so I'd like to gather your opinions.

Thanks

its just a two cyl version of the 1200 isnt it ? I havent read anything particularly bad about them... Its all in the upkeep right! Also i guess people make fun of them for being slower... I guess if your gf doesnt mind having a ski that isnt going to be a race ski you should be fine!

There a good ski, been on a few off them, just dont mess with the carb setting and you should be fine

Its more of a water cruiser than speed machine if you know what i mean

Yeah, we just want something that can move (anything will, compared to our past XL700's) and will be reliable. I want her to get a VX, but she likes the look of the GPRs.

+1
    i have had my 800 for a few years now. i have a 195 hours on it with minor issues. i had to put a new (borrowed from a friend) wear ring becuase my swelled up and stopped the engine from cranking.

it sank once becuase the coupler for the sound suppression box came apart.

besides those two incidents i cant recall any other problems i have had with it. it is a little hard starting at times. This ski spent some time in salt water as well. there no speed demons but they aren't slow either. my runs 55-56 all day long it has lost some speed it used to run 57 on half a tank but that was about 70-80 hours ago lol. my one complaint is it has poor acceleration. gets great fuel consumption compared to other skis i have run with. i ran with an utra and rxp and rxt and they all had burned about 3/4 of a tank of fuel i had only burnt about 1/4 of a tank of fuel.

you could pull some more speed out of them with out much work. im only running a aftermarket ride plate. i heard they respond well to 3 degree key way and shaved heads. i think with that and a machined ride plate you could see 60 with a gp800r. i plan on doing it this winter becuase my 800 is ready for a rebuild.

edit: also i have the stock oil injection still on the ski. its reliable you just have to keep an eye on the lines. i constantly keep an eye to make sure there is on oil in the bottom of the ski.

Quote Originally Posted by mfear View Post
    Yeah, we just want something that can move (anything will, compared to our past XL700's) and will be reliable. I want her to get a VX, but she likes the look of the GPRs.
    Im picking up my ski on Sat which is a FX HO 160 Cruiser (im well excited)

The GP is a good ski, one of the lads where i ski has just had a towing eye added to his to pull a ringo and it does a good job

thanks for the info, guys

Thread Information