Thread: 92 GTX issues

+1

92 GTX issues

Fellas,
    My neighbor gave me this ski...so no roasts on this relic hotrod
    long story short...ski sat for a while. He took it to a local mechanic because it wasn't running right. Supposedly they rebuilt the carbs and gave them a good cleaning, new plugs etc... One he got it home it would fire but would die. Figuring the plugs were fouled he pulled them and it seems the engine had a tremendous amount of fuel in the cylinders. he got tired of screwing with it so he gave it to me....

Now...it seems to be loading up, especially on the MAG cylinder. I can get it to run if I have the gas turned off. Once she runs out of gas I can turn it back on and it loads up and dies. After cranking with the gass off she will fire again, gas on dies....you get the picture. So what did these guys screw up in the carbs or is this something common? I dont want to spend a whole lot of money on this thing. It is actually in excellent shape and perfect for my wife to putt around on. Any ideas? New to the rotax style engine but pretty mechanically incline. Thanks in advance
    Nik

+1
    Nobody?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Id start over with the carbs...sounds like leaky needle and seats

+1

WTF is going on!!!???

Ok now Im real confused....Took both carbs apart and all seemed relatively clean. After putting them back on the intake I checked the sync and set the oil pump. Just on a whim I looked at the carb markings to make sure they were in the correct spot. I noticed the PTO was on the MAG side. I was like cool they are swapped...looked at the other carb and there is no marking. Now the difference is the return orifice. MAG side is supposed to be bigger (3.0mm). I popped open both pump housings and they are the same size!!! WTF!!!!???? Can I drill one of the openings to 3.0mm?

+1
    Drilled it out to 3mm. Also found fuel pick up hoses in a million pieces in the tank. Pulled tank, cleaned it out and installed new hoses. Fired up after a few secs of cranking. Its sittin at my dock right now. Needs a little bit of tweaking on the fuel screws. Not going to do that until I get a few gallons of gas through her. Funny thing is my neighbor (one that gave it to me) met me at my dock after I dropped it at the boat ramp. He was blown away that I got it running. Would make for a good mastercard commercial......look on his face....priceless!!....hope to run the piss outta this thing tomorrow!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Those looks are priceless...Good Work!

Thread Information